Desperately need help/advice on chargeback

We sold a PC to a customer. The courier tried to delivery it a couple of times and there was nobody home. According to the buyer it was left down the side of their house. The buyer didn't like this. He demanded we have it picked up and send another one. As usual, us sellers are held to ransom from buyers, so we had it collected and sent another one. It had become evident from our communications with the buyer during this time that he was going to be a very difficult and unreasonable person. Anyway, he claimed this second PC had some damage to it. I requested photos but he didnt' send any.

So then I get a notification from Paypal saying that a chargeback has been filed. I supplied all the requested information. A week or two later I get an email from Paypal saying the card issuer has decided in the buyers favour. Yet they sill have the PC! (worth $1800).

I have spoken to everyone - Paypal - they can't help. Saying it is out of their hands.

I have spoken to the buyers bank - they say it wasn't their decision and that Mastercard and Paypal would have decided the outcome.

I can't speak to Mastercard, they don't have a way of contacting them regarding these matters.

I have spoken to the police and they indicated there probably isn't much they can do.

I have emailed the customer many times demanding that he return the PC as it no longer belongs to him. I have had no response. I dont have a phone number for him.

What can I do? How the hell can a chargeback be granted whilst the buyer still has the goods?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Desperately need help/advice on chargeback

I wouldn't open the 2 disputes. The FSO have paypal pretty firmly in their sights so I would stick with them ATM. Just realise that if you get any money out of them or the bank it won't come from the buyer generally - the money lenders cover this type of thing. So paypal or the bank will cover your loss. Which is incredibly frustrating - when you want to teach the guy a lesson and he gets off scot free. You have to just swallow hard and at least think you got your money back and hopefully karma will drop a big bucket of you know what on the thief. Do look up facebook though - google his name just in case. Great to drop a well worded message when it's all over.

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

I think paypal are dogs for leaving you out in the cold. They say the will fight it with the bank and basically do nothing, refund thats it, the same as ebay operate.

It should be noted that a lot of the information I found gave specific time constraints with lodging apeals with banks, as paypal have already acted on your behalf that could be a problem.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies, especially dylan and a_beautiful_room. I lodged the dispute against Paypal with the FOS on Friday. I received an email this morning saying that they have contacted Paypal asking them to resolve the issue and that Paypal has 21 days to do so. On the advice above I won't lodge another dispute against the bank, it wasn't them I was dealing with anyway, it was paypal. I only found the name of the bank through my own investigations and some luck. So I guess now all I can do is wait and see what happens. 21 days is a long time to wait but I guess it's all I can do at this stage...  Just wondering if I should file a suit in the small claims court agains the customer as well. Or would that somehow be counterproductive to the FOS dispute?

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

I would wait until you see the outcome of the current FOS case.

If that fails then consider your other options to recover your money.

Small claims is an option. This service is free as far as I'm aware, my be state dependant tho.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

You might find it's quicker than 21 days. People were told that when they lodged disputes for the 21 day PayPal funds hold and it was all sorted within a few days. If PayPal try to drag it out they cop a fine as far as I know.

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply