Dilemma regarding store/business name. Opinions please.

Not so much eBay-related as business related, but it does involve the name of my eBay store, and I'd really like the opinions of those who post here.

Some background: I've operated my eBay store under its current name since 2004. The name of the store is a combination of two foreign words, so I don't think it's something you'd "accidentally" copy.

Nevertheless, about 3 years ago, a website appeared. The domain was the name of my store, the title on the website was the name of my store and the seller is selling similar items to what I sell. They're also in Australia.

At times, this has annoyed me, partially because as I said, it's a unique store name and I find it to be a massive coincidence that someone would name their store the same name and sell the same items. There has been confusion with my eBay buyers thinking that it's me, which is problematic, and also, browser search results bring up the other seller's website when you search for my store.

Never really worried about it too much until now. I am looking at opening a website to go with my eBay store, so I am looking at registering the business name (this other seller has not registered the business name, it's available to register).

Basically, I see myself as having 3 options:

1. Register my current business name, use a similar domain name (but not identical, because the other seller has taken the domain name).

2. Register my current business name, use a similar domain name, and then inform the other seller that they need to change their business name because it's infringing on my (registered) name.

3. Re-brand and re-name my store to eliminate any perceived association with this other seller, but risk losing buyers when I re-name my eBay store (we know how people don't update their bookmarks, etc). If it makes a difference, I have a new logo and name ready to go, which imo, is better than my current one (shorter, easier to spell).

Not overly keen on #2 especially - I know business is business and as I've said, it's a massive coincidence, but it's possible that the seller really didn't know about my business when they set up theirs. It wouldn't be a pleasant thing to have to tell them they need to modify their business name/brand - and if they refuse or ignore me, I'm not wanting to get a lawyer involved, or anything like that.

Would really appreciate anyone's opinion on this. What would you do? Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

As an aside: has anyone here gone through the process of re-naming/re-branding their eBay store? Did you have any problems when you did so (in terms of decreased sales, etc). Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The first thing to consider is how many regular buyers you have. This is different from followers. My main store has 65 followers, but I doubt that many of these names pop up as regular buyers. In fact a few are probably my opposition, spying on what I,m listing and how my sales are going. I know that at least two are ebayers I have purchased bulk lots of items from to resell. So basically while I have quite a few followers, I doubt that there is much buying quality to the list. Your ebay followers should automatically follow you to your newly branded ebay store anyway.

If a large percentage of your sales are to repeat customers, then your internet name and brand is a valuable piece of real estate that someone else is squating on . If repeat sales only make up a small percent of your business, it is probably better to relaunch under a new, better brand.

If you decide to change and give the transition a number of months including a note with buyers items advising them of your relaunch with a new name and website, it could be an exciting step into a new, bigger, better direction for you. Sell the change and create the sizzle with your buyers as you make these exciting improvements to your stores.

I havnt changed my ebay store name, but often wish I had done it yonks ago as there are much better names I could use to reflect the direction my business has gone in over the years. And yes I would use the new name on any website I started.  Basically I,m too lazy to relaunch and re-invigorate my business, but all power to you if you have the energy and enthusiasm to do it.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I would go with option 3.

Make sure that after you register the business name you get both the dot com and dot com.au domain names as well as setup accounts in the same name on facebook, twitter, instagram and anywhere else you can think of. If you just change your store name and keep your current eBay user ID your regular eBay buyers will still find you.

Also, if your new business name is easy to remember your buyers will find you wherever you are. I have buyers who I have spoken to at markets and they have lost our business card but they still find us on facebook or eBay.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Use option (1) and simply give your web domain a different extension,  e.g. simply .com rather than .com.au

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Just thought I'd mention, in case it is useful, that if you are using the new store format, a change of store name will not alter your store URL, it will keep it at whatever it is now.

If you are using the old store format (or temporarily revert to it), the URL will change if you change your store name. 

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply