Do I have to refund this case?

Hi there,

I recently sold a second-hand computer motherboard.

The buyer used it for 2 days before it failed.

As it was working for 2 days without catastophic failure i'm guessing the buyer, (or his components) may have done something to cause this.

I stated no refunds in the ad and as it was second-hand I did not offer a warranty.

The buyer has since chaged his story, tring to suggest that it never worked at all, but I still have the original emails to prove otherwise.

Do I have to refund his money.

I offered him a partial refund, but he declined.

I was thinking along the lines that the is the risk with buying second-hand, cheaper but no warranty.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Ramiu5150

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Do I have to refund this case?

It is debatable if you would have to refund, a failure within 2 days would would probably be regarded by ebay as not as described however the buyer having moved the goalposts may play in your favour.

I would phone bay using the call me back option and hope you get a sympathetic operator who will flag your case as a possible scam if they open a dispute. Explain that it is a second hand item which is easily compromised by misuse by the buyer and that the buyer has admitted in their initial message that it was working and is now saying it never worked.

All you can do then is wait and see if they do open a dispute and if they do call ebay back and refer them to the earlier conversation. Make sure you have recorded the time of the initial call and the name of the person you spoke to.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

As it does not meet exspectations as would have a life longer than 2 days i would refund the buyer in full

happens from time to time just have to wear it this time 

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Hi there,

I appreciate the time you took to reply!

Insightful information.

Many thanks and have a great day.

Regards,

Ramius5150

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the information.

Regards,

Ramius5150