Do you think this situation is worth reporting to Ebay?

So, on the 11th of this month an Ebayer bought my item.

He messaged me and said the payment will be made within the hour.

Fast forward 2 days later, the payment was still not made, so I decided to message he/she back regarding if they were still interested in purchasing the item...no response.

So, I proceeded to cancel the order on the 14th, as SOON as I cancelled the order, the ebayer left me negative feedback along the lines of: "Didn't even wait for the weekend payment to go through. Wow." 

Now, if they replied to my messages in the first place, I would of known what was going on and wouldn't of done said things.

Argh..this annoys me beyond belief!!! 

I've reported this situation to Ebay..it's past the 48 period and they still haven't gotten back to me. ๐Ÿ˜• 

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

We have decided not to use this new cancellation process. Have had the same kind of problems as outlined in this thread.

We just go straight to UID after the 4th day.

Regardless if/not its an error on the part of a new buyer. The new cancellation process is too much stacked against the seller to even worry about using it.

The only risk I see in going this way is that the buyer may pay just to avoid the strike then get angry with us and leave a NEG. So far that has not happened to us tho.

Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

I  think i'll do the same in future

Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

I've had issues with a buyer not paying. Gave them a week total (including two messages) before opening a case. I'd suggest you contact ebay. I have found them fairly helpful when dealing with problems (buying and selling). DON'T delete any messages you've sent or received. Your negative feedback should be able to be removed by ebay.  And I think it's crazy we can't leave negative feedback for a buyer !!

Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

it might feel good but sellers leaving neg feedback for buyers achieves very little.

I just opened another cancellation now using the old resolve a problem link and it doesnt appear to be the same setup as the cancel order process.

It looks like the old basic question for the buyer to agree to cancel or not.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

We have decided not to use this new cancellation process. Have had the same kind of problems as outlined in this thread.

We just go straight to UID after the 4th day.

Regardless if/not its an error on the part of a new buyer. The new cancellation process is too much stacked against the seller to even worry about using it.

The only risk I see in going this way is that the buyer may pay just to avoid the strike then get angry with us and leave a NEG. So far that has not happened to us tho.

Looks like I've finally got my first ever non-paying buyer Clarry and like you, I'm very loath to open a UID for the very same reason. I fear that he'll pay simply to avoid the strike then leave negative feedback in retaliation, and if that happens there's not a damn thing I can do about it. He "bought" the item very early on Saturday morning and I very clearly state on my listings that "payment is requested at the time of purchase, but must be received within 4 days in any case".

I sent him an invoice as a reminder on Tuesday morning but have still heard nothing from him, and the 4 days expire at 0700 on Wednesday morning. I suppose I always have the option of contacting him and asking if he'd like to cancel his purchase, but like you I find the process to be very heavily stacked against the seller and if he declines to agree, then eBay get to pocket the FVFs instead of crediting my account (which is quite clearly what they're hoping will happen).

By the same token, if I don't open a UID, I lose my FVF, but at least I don't run the risk of being hit with a neg (and quite possibly a defect for my trouble as well). We're only talking about an amount of $1.09 in FVF but is recovering such a petty amount worth the risk of copping a neg or even a defect? Doesn't sound like much, but multiply that by tens of thousand sellers who are afraid to recover their FVF for fear of being negged or defected and eBay stands to make a bloody fortune in fees which are legally not theirs to keep.

This is nothing more than a blatantly dishonest and extremely unethical ploy by eBay to frighten sellers into not claiming their FVFs so that eBay gets to keep them instead. The ba$tards at eBay have obviously thought long and hard about making their cancellation process as difficult and as one-sided as possible so that either way, the sellers ultimately lose and ebay gets to retain hundreds of thousands of dollars in illegally obtained FVFs. Seems that eBay have turned theft into an absolute artform.

Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

I can count on 2 hands the amount of UPI disputes I've had to open. Only 2 paid, the rest just ignored. I did worry that the 2 that paid would neg me or trash my stars, especially as one had a long list of negs left for sellers (the reason I now check every buyers feedback left for others). That buyer still mostly leaves negs for sellers. To my surprise, they both left positive feedback and 5 stars....even the serial negger!

The other buyer paid with a few hours to go. She sent a message apologising profusely and explained she was having computer issues. She eventually asked to use her neighbours computer to finalise her purchases as she had made quite a few in the previous few days. The calibre of her message, I believe she was telling the truth.

Only time I've had an 'issue' was when one non payer contacted me 2 or 3 weeks after the case was closed saying he had been away and didn't have any mobile reception. That was one I was kind of hoping didn't pay as the days progressed, as he was also a serial negger. He bid in the last few minutes. He sent me a message apologising and gave an explaination and asked if the item was still available as he still wanted it and would I relist it as a BIN. I declined due to him being a serial negger, so copped a reply full of abuse, calling me every name under the sun.

It's really hard to know what to do because buyers seem to be getting more bold and more ruthless. Not to mention unpredictable. You don't often know you have an irrational one until feedback time. Even when you think you've done everything right, they still go and trash your stars.

Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

The first thing I did was to check this fellow's feedback for others and I doubt I could have come across a worse buyer to have to hit with a UPI. He is clearly a serial negger and it obviously doesn't take very much to annoy him.

I'm just about convinced that if I hit him with a UPI he'll pay up with the specific intention of retaliating with a neg and a defect, and I know full well that eBay won't give a toss if he does. Still, I'm going to do it anyway, purely on principle.

If eBay think they're going to use the fear of being negged or defected to extort my FVF from me, they're very sorely mistaken, and I'm of half a mind to put my suspicions to the ACCC and see what they have to say about eBay's unconscionable behaviour.
Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

I too have opened many UIDs over the years, the vast majority have paid before the end of the 4 days, not one of them has left me a neg.....................yet!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

fairdinkum some buyers do my head in.

One buyer i had lodged a cancellation request for just disagreed to cancel the transaction.

OMG!

After they decided they didnt want the item I even messaged and asked him to be sure to click agree when ebay messages about the cancellation as i've had new ebayers mistakenly select disagree thinking ebay were asking if they want the item or not.

So now what?

Through no fault of my own i've blown my chance of getting my fees back.

Now i'll have to chase it up and try explaining it all to ebay.

Fun times

Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

Any ideas why your ratbag buyer ticked the wrong box?

It certainly sounds intentional to me rather than accidental.

Did you somehow annoy him or otherwise p!ss him off?

Best of luck with eBay although I don't like your chances.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply