Does anybody know: is it legal under Australian Law for ebay to impose postage fees on sellers?

Does anybody know:  is it legal under Australian Law for ebay to impose postage fees on sellers?

While ebay is a wonderfully accessible global marketplace,  charging far less sales commissions than any actual auction house, the postage fee seems mis-placed.

The postage process actually has no involvement by ebay:  it is between seller buyer and Australia Post.

Seller invoices buyer for postage, buyer pays seller postage,  seller takes item to AustraliaPost, pays same postage, the entire postage charge goes to Australia Post, seller makes no profit from postage charge,  how soes ebay become entitled to charge a fee on something it has zero involvement with?

It's like a GST on something we have already paid a GST on, which is the postage charge.   Government receives GST on postage charge.  ebay receives a commission on postage charge.

I'm not whinging about it not being fair.

I'm asking if it is legal.

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Does anybody know: is it legal under Australian Law for ebay to impose postage fees on sellers?

thankyou Penny.   At least they could , with all their 'brilliant'configuring of their pages and all,  notice if a seller actually uses any of their postage bits and pieces or not.  I do not.  I do between me and Aust Post at theh post office, I don't print labels or use their satchels.  Therefore it is not a postal service ebay provides to me and why should I have charges imposed on a non-service.    That's my point.   Thanks for your input.

Message 31 of 35
Latest reply

Re: Does anybody know: is it legal under Australian Law for ebay to impose postage fees on sellers?

Yes, and thankyou f or your input.

Message 32 of 35
Latest reply

Yes I think they would try and see what works.  I am simply asking if it is legal .  They seem to have got around it, anyway.

Message 33 of 35
Latest reply

You are responding to a 7 year old thread, to a lovely member who has passed away some time ago

The charges you complain about have been around longer than this thread, and not made a secret

You choose to sell, you pay all fees involved, like every seller does

Simple

Message 34 of 35
Latest reply

@niceandbright wrote:

Yes I think they would try and see what works.  I am simply asking if it is legal .  They seem to have got around it, anyway.

YES, it is legal.

eBay are charging seller fees on the transaction total.  Postage has nothing to do with it.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, those that offer "free postage" are paying fees on the transaction total.  eBay want sellers to include postage in their pricing as it transitions away from auctions towards much more Buy-Now fixed pricing as they have research (so they say) that buyers love free postage and buying now rather than waiting for an auction to end.

It's done . . . as am I on this old thread you started.  If you don't get it after 7 years you never will.

Message 35 of 35
Latest reply