Does anyone know about ABN's and ebay stores?

Hi all, my name's Mel. I was looking into selling my one of a kind art pieces on ebay and was looking into getting an ABN to get my supplies cheaper so my items are not crazily priced. The ABN site is currently undergoing maitanance. So my question is

Is having an Ebay store enough to get an ABN? Apparently i need to prove what i'm doing isn't a hobby. But in order to sell a decent amount of my creations i need to get supplies wholesale to keep costs down.

Any help would be appreciated. And i'm sorry if i've asked this in the wrong area or if it has already been previously addressed.

Have a great weekend!!!

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You don't need an actual business to get an ABN, if you are going to be earning any income which is not regular paid employment you can apply and get one fairly quickly on the website.  If you are planning on doing contract or freelance work, including selling the occasional piece of art, you need one so that you can invoice for your work, but it doesn't require a registered business of any kind.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

If you're creating and selling for profit, you can be considered a business and should qualify for an ABN if you apply. Here's some info that might help clarify:

http://www.business.gov.au/business-topics/starting-a-business/Pages/business-or-a-hobby.aspx

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Perhaps you should do a bit more reading about selling other things before you start  talking ABNs. You are very lucky nobody reported your so called new bra that had only been worn twice. If it had been picked up or reported you would have a defect recorded against your account.

Have you tried selling any of these art pieces and if so did you get a good price for them? I would certainly do a few listings to see if there is a large enough market to make it worth the time and effort of running a registered buisiness.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I contacted the ATO when they cancelled my business number a few years ago. The person I spoke to said I had to prove I was operating a business, with an invoice..

I think to register a business it has to be making a profit.. Which is a bit strange but I think your not allowed to say here is my business register it if nothing actually exists.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

We took out two ABNs (1 for each of us) about 2-years ago.

I don't recall having to prove anything.

Just state the nature of your business is all as I recall it.

Now an ACN might be a whole nother kettle of fish,.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@chopz*n*chompa wrote:

Hi all, my name's Mel. I was looking into selling my one of a kind art pieces on ebay and was looking into getting an ABN to get my supplies cheaper so my items are not crazily priced. The ABN site is currently undergoing maitanance. So my question is

Is having an Ebay store enough to get an ABN? Apparently i need to prove what i'm doing isn't a hobby. But in order to sell a decent amount of my creations i need to get supplies wholesale to keep costs down.

Any help would be appreciated. And i'm sorry if i've asked this in the wrong area or if it has already been previously addressed.

Have a great weekend!!!

If you are thinking of getting your art supplies cheaper it means you will be registering for GST.  Which in turn means you will have to complete a BAS every months and pay GST on all the things you sell on ebay.  You cannot buy supplies cheaper without paying the piper at the other end of the buying/selling process..

To be honest, that is absolute madness until you have a lot more experience in selling.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

you dont have to fill out a bas statement every month unless you turn over $75k  a year 

have a nice day

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

If you are thinking of getting your art supplies cheaper it means you will be registering for GST.  Which in turn means you will have to complete a BAS every months and pay GST on all the things you sell on ebay.  You cannot buy supplies cheaper without paying the piper at the other end of the buying/selling process..

To be honest, that is absolute madness until you have a lot more experience in selling.

I think the OP may have meant that some wholesalers require an ABN in order to sell to someone - I just purchased from a local wholesaler, who required my ABN, but I paid GST on all items, and as far as I know, I don't have to register for it myself unless I'm turning over $75k or more per year (which I'm not), and can not charge GST on my items unless I am registered and collecting it....

Or do I have all that wrong? ๐Ÿ˜ฎ 

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Sounds about right to me dg.

Maybe the OP should just register a Business Name - that

would probably do the trick, rather than an ABN

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply