Does anyone out there seriously believe EBAY are changing the payment system for the greater good

These changes will not be in the sellers interest.

They will solely be in EBAYs interest only.

Expect higher fees

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Does anyone out there seriously believe EBAY are changing the payment system for the greater goo

Yes, they are beating around the bush a bit .. while not all EB members have been contacted yet, it will happen within months from what they told me .. and the fees are rising as they confirmed that to me y'day. Sellers are leaving already .. the total $ left doesn't warrant the hassle of what it takes to sell. What are they going to do with reduced seller numbers .. unless they only want the biggies & retailers to remain?? I think so ..

Message 21 of 71
Latest reply

Re: Does anyone out there seriously believe EBAY are changing the payment system for the greater goo

eBay could easily lose a few million sellers... they have way too many.

Now buyers....

Message 22 of 71
Latest reply

Well, while speaking to them directly y'day .. and having this in my 'conversation history' with them via an email, eBay told me .. quote '* CURRENT fee % on sales are: 10.9% of your TOTAL sale amount, including the postage. NEW fees, if you want your p'ment immediately, will be 13.4% of your total sales amount!' 

That IS an INCREASE of 2.5%!'  There was NO decrease shown to me anywhere in our current fee structure .. that's from them, y'day at around 1pm .. I tried to load the whole file at the beginning of my original post, but this format (or eBay) would not let me ..

Message 23 of 71
Latest reply

So much paranoia in this thread Smiley Surprised

A few facts - PayPal is financial institution, they literally had to obtain that status to operate in Australia in the way they wanted to, and that is why their fees (like bank fees) don't attract GST but eBay's do, because eBay / Adyen aren't. It's also why you can hold a balance in PayPal forever, but legally can't with eBay's system - they have to pay out funds regularly, and that means they require an account to pay in to (PayPal required this too, they just weren't legally obliged to pay out into it unless the account holder requested it). If anyone thinks the ATO doesn't have access to PayPal data, please know the opposite is true. 

Adyen are, however, a payment processor and still have to comply with anti-money laundering laws - that is why ID is required. 

Of course eBay are doing it out of their own interest - it was always inevitable. It doesn't really advantage sellers in any way, unless the increased payment options bring more customers, but I've never seen anyone say "I only use G Pay" so that seems unlikely for now. 

Message 24 of 71
Latest reply

@clobber-n-clogs wrote:

Well, while speaking to them directly y'day .. and having this in my 'conversation history' with them via an email, eBay told me .. quote '* CURRENT fee % on sales are: 10.9% of your TOTAL sale amount, including the postage. NEW fees, if you want your p'ment immediately, will be 13.4% of your total sales amount!' 

That IS an INCREASE of 2.5%!'  There was NO decrease shown to me anywhere in our current fee structure .. that's from them, y'day at around 1pm .. I tried to load the whole file at the beginning of my original post, but this format (or eBay) would not let me ..

It is NOT. Unless all your payments are by bank deposit, the 2.5% subsumes what you were/are paying to Paypal.

It really pays to ACTUALLY read the extensive information available in the relevant section.

FWIW, I am actually on MP so I can, and do, state with no hyperbole that my fees are within a couple of cents of what they were pre-MP.

You will notice most of the posters on this and many other threads aren't on MP, so they have no real-life experience. They, and you, are scaremongering.

Message 25 of 71
Latest reply

I feel like the points that all people are making aren't solid points or any point. When they aren't paying attention to what actually is happening.

A few examples would be of better points.

"I just feel more comfortable using paypal"
"I just prefer paypal as I have been using that way for years"

"I don't like that ebay can withheld your money that you can't see as clearly as paypal"

"I only sell a few things and I don't feel like going through all this hastle."

"eBay doesn't feel like a bank to me."

"I don't want to change"

Instead we are getting points like

"The fees are higher! Feebay!!!!!!!!1"

"They have authority to direct debit" *Paypal does*
"They have to see my ID" *Paypal Does*

"ITS ILLEGAL OR THEY ARE STEALING"

"Ebay is ruining my business"
"ACCC will hear about this"

Message 26 of 71
Latest reply

Well I just had my first sale using this new manage system and I'm about to cancel my first sale ever

First of all it was listed via Gumtree and they took an fvf check the terms and conditions of my listing

Then they finally refunded the fees and refunded the wrong amount

Then they couldn't tell me how long the payment will take to reach me but they expected me to post the item right away

I have someone coming to pick the item up off Gumtree this afternoon and as soon as I give me the cash I will cancel this sale..

With PayPal I got the money in seconds and could transfer it to my debit card in seconds

it's the buyer I feel sorry for because they have lost out on a good price bargain. I just won't sell anything on here anymore

Message 27 of 71
Latest reply

*I meant to say the eBay robots could only tell me to check the terms and conditions of my listing

It took me an hour and a half on chat to get my fees back
Message 28 of 71
Latest reply

Don't be sorry for the buyer because if the buyer is clever enough to realize they can give you a negative feedback then they will.

Why would you list it on 2 different platforms?

Message 29 of 71
Latest reply

Well, tell us then .. where do we make these comments? The survey didn't allow them, there is no way to post our objections DIRECTLY to EB .. we don't seem to have an 'opt out' option when asked to register going on what EB told me 2 days ago.

Simply, Sellers are again the 'milk cows' for EB.

BTW, did you know that AP post costs went up today as well? So, another little smidgen of a an extra % to EB again.

Message 30 of 71
Latest reply