Does stating HANDLE WITH CARE OR DO NOT BEND OR FRAGILE on a pack do any good

bjlcr
Community Member

I have heard that some postal workers take no notice if warnings are written on parcels and sometimes do the complete opposite to what is asked on parcels.A Buyer has asked me to write Handle with Care and Do not bend on her pack.I pefer not to do this but if she wants to take the repondsibility of what may happen .I will do it for her...I alway pack very well and have had no damage to items .

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Does stating HANDLE WITH CARE OR DO NOT BEND OR FRAGILE on a pack do any good

Re: Does stating HANDLE WITH CARE OR DO NOT BEND OR FRAGILE on a pack do any good

I write "FRAGILE" and "Please Handle with Care" on most of my stuff (which is fragile and mostly double boxed) - I don't know if PO workers treat them differently but my thought is that the recipient or whoever takes delivery might treat them more gently at their end.  I pack well, with minimal mishaps, but figure that any extra assurance is worth it.

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

Looking at that video DHL obviously stands for D**k Heads Ltd.

Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

After viewing the video....and a few others it's pretty obvious the carriers are employing to many neanderthals with low IQ!

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Of course we have all heard the old story.....

Your mum sends you an envelope with photographs insde.

On the front it is clearly marked "PHOTOGRAPHS-DO NOT BEND"

The envelope has been folded and bent, better than any origami, to fit into your mail box when it arrives.

Along with the added words on the front from the postie...

"OH YES THEY DO"

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

I actually worked in the parcel centre over the Christmas period and I can tell you everything you have heard is a furphy. Generally all the parcels go into a big metal cage (at least for the major cities) and the bendy stuff generally is placed on the side next to a large box where it can't bend too much or on top.  To be honest, the fragile parcels aren't treated too much differently from all the others because a huge percentage of parcels have fragile stickers on them, but as a rule most parcels are not treated harshly. They do have to be able to sustain a bit of a jolt because you just don't have time to place everything gently in the cages, but they are not thrown from long distances - you would get reprimanded for that.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

That's funny.

I just received a flat large letter with a print inside. It was marked "please do not bend". It was treated nicely. Three weeks from Sydney to Melbourne, but not bent ๐Ÿ™‚

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

In the parcel centre, where there is probably 24/7 CCTV...

Delivery drivers don't work in the parcel centre and aren't generally subject to CCTV.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

I got one the other day too. I was home when the postie pulled up and I heard him stop. When he didn't ride straight off I looked through the door to see what he was up to (he plays pranks on me!). I saw him with a large letter and he started to bend it to put it in the top of the letterbox, then stopped, looked at it, got off his bike and brought it to the door. It had do not bend on it. He said to me that if he'd bent it on me, he was worried what I'd do to him! He thought it best to play it safe.

I've seen local couriers mishandling items. A quick call to their depot saw them without a job very quickly. Yes, it happens, but 99% do the right thing. The others just haven't been caught yet. I post mainly fragile items. I don't mark them as fragile, I just pack them well. Only way they'd get damaged is if they were run over by the truck.

In the early days, when I was still trying to work out how to pack things properly, I packaged up a few old china tea cups that I was going to throw out. Mr Tippy and I kicked the box around the back yard playing soccer with it for a good hour. I brought it back in, unpacked it and it was in the same condition as what i packed it. I knew then I'd got the packaging thing down pat!

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply