Double the GST on some items?

go-tazz
Community Member

Now that the government has waited before introducing the tax they now also get the FVF's for the postage

component.

If you sell an item for $10 with $10 postage they are actually getting 20% gst,(10% on each).

You are not selling postage but it's still regared as a FVF,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

So you have to start charging more for the item and more for the postage if you want the same "profit" for

whatever you sell.

It's difficult enough to sell items on this site as buyers aren't willing to pay the same prices that they paid in

the past,(if prices go up it will become even more difficult).

Or absorb the fees and make less "profit" which in turn could mean buying less on this site,Who knows.gif

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is no GST on the item cost....just the ebay fees.  And I am sure I read somewhere that the GST will be charged on the fees less any postage you have paid.

Any GST on the item will be paid by the seller if they are registered for GST.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

gec2002
Community Member

@go-tazz wrote:

If you sell an item for $10 with $10 postage they are actually getting 20% gst,(10% on each).

Sorry but when working with Percentages you can't just add them.

@If your $10 item has GST @10% = $1 and your Postage of $10 has GST at 10% that is another $1 = Total 1+1 = $2
Toyal Cost $10 + $10 = $20 including $2 GST $2 0f $20 is 10% not 20%

Now if eBay start charging GST it will be on the fees not the cost of the items.  So in the above example if FVF is 10% just to make the sums easy then FVF on $20 (as eBay include postage) would be $2 (10% 0f $20) then there would be GST on $2 fee of 10% = $0.20

so your fees would go from $2 to $2.20.  The GST component can be claimed in your BAS statement and the remaining as a cost.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

eBay will get FVF's on the item sale price and the postage cost.

So in my example eBay get 9.9% FVF's on the sale price and the postage cost,(99 cents and 99 cents).

Total $1.98 and the tax will take 10% = 19.8 cents,(9.9 cents for the item and 9.9 for the postage).

Thereby doubling their GST to 20% even though one item,(postage) isn't a "sold" item.

We don't sell postage so this part of their GST grab is them acting as bad as eBay did when they first started

charging on the postage,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

No Tazz...the GST is not on the item cost but on the fees that ebay charge you to sell the item.

And you will not be charged GST in the postage you have paid as it is already included in the postage paid to Australia Post.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

I saw clarification that no gst is payable on the postage component.

It was in an ebay email somewhere.

Might try to find it.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

If sellers are starting to worry about the GST on items then everyone should look at their every day life that involves the GST.

There are many many things that you pay for which you get charged 20% GST instead of 10% GST.

One example is when you put your car in to get serviced/repaired and the repairer gives you the bill which will have the labour cost and the parts cost total then GST added to give the final cost.

But what people don't see that's hidden in the cost is that you are being charged twice for the parts lol.

When the parts are purchased they incur the GST and then the repairer charges the GST again in the bill so you're paying 20% on the parts.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Can't find it, smiley looking.gifshame.gifbut trust me  -  I'm a stalker   lol  embarrassed.gif

Tazz, by your example, if you sell something for $10,  ebay's fvf is 99c. (9.9%)

The gst component is only 10% of that 99c, so it will only add up to $1.09

Just pretend the fvf has gone up to 10.9%   wink.gif

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

@eezipeezi888 wrote:

If sellers are starting to worry about the GST on items then everyone should look at their every day life that involves the GST.

There are many many things that you pay for which you get charged 20% GST instead of 10% GST.

One example is when you put your car in to get serviced/repaired and the repairer gives you the bill which will have the labour cost and the parts cost total then GST added to give the final cost.

But what people don't see that's hidden in the cost is that you are being charged twice for the parts lol.

When the parts are purchased they incur the GST and then the repairer charges the GST again in the bill so you're paying 20% on the parts.

Nup.   Sorry Eezi.   The repairer pays the gst when he purchases the parts.

(Mind you, the bill is padded so much, you might as well be paying it.)

But it's what they call Value Added Tax in the UK

Each step has the gst added

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

No Tazz...the GST is not on the item cost but on the fees that ebay charge you to sell the item.

Where have I stated that it's on the item cost?

I've stated that it's on the FVF,(Final Value Fees) that are charged by eBay once you sell your item.

As sellers will incur the 10% GST they have to take that into account when selling their items.

At present if you sell an item it is charged at 9.9 %,(that's 1.98 for my example).

Once the GST comes in there will be an additional cost of 19.8 cents for the GST,(for the item sale price

and the postage charge).

Therefore IF you want the same profit you have to charge extra.

And you will not be charged GST in the postage you have paid as it is already included in the postage paid to Australia Post.

As I read it hat only refers to the postage component if you use eBay postage labels.

It does not cover the postage that a seller charges the buyer,(as it's included as a FVF).

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply