Double the GST on some items?

go-tazz
Community Member

Now that the government has waited before introducing the tax they now also get the FVF's for the postage

component.

If you sell an item for $10 with $10 postage they are actually getting 20% gst,(10% on each).

You are not selling postage but it's still regared as a FVF,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

So you have to start charging more for the item and more for the postage if you want the same "profit" for

whatever you sell.

It's difficult enough to sell items on this site as buyers aren't willing to pay the same prices that they paid in

the past,(if prices go up it will become even more difficult).

Or absorb the fees and make less "profit" which in turn could mean buying less on this site,Who knows.gif

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Double the GST on some items?

@digital*ghost wrote:

Your opening post refers to total fees payable, because as I understood it you were explaining that GST will be charged on both components of eBay's FVF, which is charged in two parts, FVF on sale price, FVF on postage amount, which is where I assumed the 20% GST figure came from (adding the 10% of one to the 10% of the other, but that's actually erroneous -

Yes,that's what I was trying to say,(as in post number 4),give_rose.gif

I acknowledge that the opening post was badly written,(I knew what I meant with the opening and third line but

mucked it up with the second line),blush-1.gif

Sorry,one and all,good.gif

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

So.......what you're saying is back to the old days of $1 items and actual cost or item and postage in shipping? Yeah, ebay is going to let that happen.

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

Is that even English?

Image result for universal translator meme
Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

The only  announcement I have seen is:

From 1 July 2017, Goods and Services Tax (GST) will apply to fees on eBay.com.au 

it doesn't state service fees

I have seen messages from sellers that state  they have been told by eBay it will be to all costs - services & postage.

I don't know if this is true or not but eBay need to verify to us how they will apply the GST to our invoice.

All postage purchased has GST included

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

The ebay fees are a fee for a service.....they provide the platform for sellers to list their items.

The GST will be on the FVFs on ebay as well as the fee charged on the postage which everyone is so annoyed about.

It will not be charged on the cost of postage that is paid to Australia Post as that already has a built in GST component.

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply