Duplicate Listings Crackdown

I read a post over on the Facebook sellers forum where ebay starting in June are about to get more serious than they have been about duplicate listing violations across multiple selling IDs.

We have already been slapped once or twice when we have inadvertently duplicated on the same ID.

But the post I read said they would be enforcing this across other maultiple IDs from the same sellers.

We have some duplicated listings across our selling IDs but so far for the past few years we have not had any slaps for doing this.

Has anyone else read anything like this and can maybe add anything to the rumours?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

A few months back now, instead of hitting the relist button on an usold, I hit sell similar. A week or so later, forgetting that I had already listed that item, I hit relist. I got a message saying it had been listed, but wouldn't be visible in search results until the other one had a bid on it because it was a duplicate listing. When I saw that I realised what I'd done, so ended it (I didn't have a second one of that particular item).

I'm wondering what they class as being duplicate. I would imagine if you had a 4m spool of 2cm pink ribbon on one ID and a 4m spool of 2cm pink ribbon on the other ID that would be classed as being duplicate, but how would my friend get on that sells opals? He has 2 ID's and cuts and polishes boulder opals and makes them into pendants and rings, then sells them. No two are the same. Would he get hit with a duplicate listing violation because he sells opal jewellery over 2 ID's?

How would they enforce it? If the titles are different, the bots wouldn't be able to pick it up. Take my friend again, if he sold pendants on one ID and rings on the other, would the bots be looking for opal or pendant or ring? Given the gazillions of listings, there is no way a human could do it to enforce it.

Maybe it will be a category thing, as opposed to an idividual item thing? If that's the case, that's going to stuff a lot of people up, especially the clothing sellers who sell different types of clothing over multiple ID's, but they all fall into the same category. 

It will also be interesting to see if it is enforced for the Chinese. I know some of the sellers I buy from have multiple ID's. That is evident by the listings being identical in every way (as in the description and backgrounds in photos). They sell the same items over multiple ID's (mineral specimens). I hope not, I love my Chinese sellers!!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

It's not a rumour. There's an announcement on the US site.

http://announcements.ebay.com/2015/04/reduced-search-visibility-for-sellers-who-violate-the-duplicat...

Hopefully it will mean the end of the duplicate listings that flood some categories.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2015/04/reduced-search-visibility-for-sellers-who-violate-the-duplicat...

Hopefully it will mean the end of the duplicate listings that flood some categories.

It's about time they started the crackdown on the violations by the Chinese sellers,(they never seem to be

removed).

They need to make it accross the board and not just local sellers.

Then they can move on to the browse manipulations by the same sellers where they list an item for a low

price but the price increases by more then three times when you select the items as stated in the listing

title.

eg: list cargo pants at $3.99 but when you go to select that item the price goes up to $20.09,(they then have

Style 2 black briefs at the stated $3.99,(but that's not what the listing title is).

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

i had a duplicate item removed on one of my accounts because it was the same as another i had on another account.  I just adjusted the quantity on my listing and deleted off the other account. problem solved.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I also read somewhere that they will start enforcing

entry of product barcode for your listings as well.

Too bad if u import or modify or package ur products n dont

subsribe to some big retailers barcode system.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

@toysandthings12 wrote:

I also read somewhere that they will start enforcing

entry of product barcode for your listings as well.

Too bad if u import or modify or package ur products n dont

subsribe to some big retailers barcode system.

Does this mean I need to barcode my rocks? 😄

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

A few months back now, instead of hitting the relist button on an usold, I hit sell similar. A week or so later, forgetting that I had already listed that item, I hit relist. I got a message saying it had been listed, but wouldn't be visible in search results until the other one had a bid on it because it was a duplicate listing. When I saw that I realised what I'd done, so ended it (I didn't have a second one of that particular item).

I'm wondering what they class as being duplicate. I would imagine if you had a 4m spool of 2cm pink ribbon on one ID and a 4m spool of 2cm pink ribbon on the other ID that would be classed as being duplicate, but how would my friend get on that sells opals? He has 2 ID's and cuts and polishes boulder opals and makes them into pendants and rings, then sells them. No two are the same. Would he get hit with a duplicate listing violation because he sells opal jewellery over 2 ID's?

How would they enforce it? If the titles are different, the bots wouldn't be able to pick it up. Take my friend again, if he sold pendants on one ID and rings on the other, would the bots be looking for opal or pendant or ring? Given the gazillions of listings, there is no way a human could do it to enforce it.

Maybe it will be a category thing, as opposed to an idividual item thing? If that's the case, that's going to stuff a lot of people up, especially the clothing sellers who sell different types of clothing over multiple ID's, but they all fall into the same category. 

It will also be interesting to see if it is enforced for the Chinese. I know some of the sellers I buy from have multiple ID's. That is evident by the listings being identical in every way (as in the description and backgrounds in photos). They sell the same items over multiple ID's (mineral specimens). I hope not, I love my Chinese sellers!!

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Yeah Sheepie.... these are all the very same questions in our mind too.

But like you we have seen the duplicate auction listing thing where it just says it will be visible once the duplicate has at least one bid.

That is instantaneous so the bot software must have some way to detect such duplications. We do have plenty of stock so we just leave the duplicates to run their course in such cases.

Perhaps this is why they have not been enforcing this policy across multiple IDs before now. Because it is just too hard to get the humans to trawl thru the millions of listings. But if they have somehow honed there software to do it then it will become far easier for them to detect.

We have a number of listings duplicated across our two stores now. And have done for the 3-years we have been selling but have never been pinged for doing it to date. So if this all happens it will mean that we have little choice but to close down one of the two stores we have.

We are just hoping we can ramp up our own web site and ETSY sales so we don't need the 2nd store ID. In the very first week we have had some very encouraging signs from ETSY.

It's fast becoming too hard and stressful to sell on here so we are thinking to bail completely once we can get our other venues working how we want them to. 

I have read their policies on duplicates and it seems that it means absolutely identical in all aspects. You can have two items the same but in different quantities. eg packs of 10x envelopes or 100x envelopes where the envelopes are identical. This would be OK as it apparently caters to a different buyer requirement. But then you would think you would do that with a single variation listing in a store at least.

So we will be watching developements here closely as it will directly impact our business. And yes I wonder how this will affect the Chinese sellers who do this rampantly.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I went to upload a listing from TL the other day and wondered why it didn't go. There was an error saying I had already uploaded one, so it wouldn't let me upload it unless I changed the title. Not sure if that is new but I have never encountered it before.

When you start a new ID it does warn you that selling identical items across both ID's is a no no

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@bigbrickshop wrote:

It's about time they started the crackdown on the violations by the Chinese sellers,(they never seem to be

removed).

They need to make it accross the board and not just local sellers.

Then they can move on to the browse manipulations by the same sellers where they list an item for a low

price but the price increases by more then three times when you select the items as stated in the listing

title.

eg: list cargo pants at $3.99 but when you go to select that item the price goes up to $20.09,(they then have

Style 2 black briefs at the stated $3.99,(but that's not what the listing title is).

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Some months ago I had an almost pigeon pair of German ceramics.  When I went to list them, obviously the title information was going to be the same - but eBay yelled 'duplicate listing' at me.  So I just inserted an *-* on one of them, no longer a problem.

Curious about this barcode thing.  Like you Sheep, I wouldn't be able to do that.  

But I'd love to know how they intend to implement that one.   I would guess that eBay approved barcode rolls could only be purchased through eBay - at a 'reasonable' cost!!

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Second hand or home made items won't have barcodes, so it can't be enforced on every product.

I think it fair enough to crackdown on duplicate listings, even across different id's  registered to same person.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply