Duplicate listings

I have been so tied up with fees on postage I haven't had a chance to mention the new duplicate listing rule. Sure , I'm guilty of several listings where I changed the wording so I get double exposure but hey! Who hasn't or doesn't ?
Well , now I have had my listing privileges suspended because I accumulated too many violations.
I have had several listings taken of because eBay think plants and seeds are the same.I just don't understand how YELLOW JACARANDA TREE x10 SEEDS is identical to YELLOW JACARANDA TREE X 1 PLANT i. I sell seeds AND plants and now I'm being penalised. What's the problem here? I contacted them and its like talking to air heads.
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Duplicate listings

Try a unique number at front of description and mix up words

eg

A1234 jacaranda tree (yellow) seeds (10)

B4567 yellow jacaranda tree plant 

also

make then different durations and different prices and use different photos (call them "yjtseeds" and "yjtplant" on your computer so they are different when uploaded.

I think the robots check the first nine letters so you must aim to ensure the robots cannot say they are the same.

Best wishes

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

I would have over 400+ listings pulled if the bots only checked the first 9 letters.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

The duplicate listing policy is new?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

Youve said so yourself that you are guilty of duplicate listings so whats the issue?

The rule is there to protect all sellers.
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

@lou*sbloomin*garden* wrote:
I just don't understand how YELLOW JACARANDA TREE x10 SEEDS is identical to YELLOW JACARANDA TREE X 1 PLANT i. I sell seeds AND plants and now I'm being penalised. What's the problem here? I contacted them and its like talking to air heads.

It might help to quote eBay's own policies to them. They specifically state that listings for the same item that meet different consumer needs do not count as duplicates. (I know seeds and plants are different items, but it counts for quantity, as well. eg I can list 10 x Blue Widgets as one listing, and 50 x Blue Widgets as a separate listing, and they shouldn't get pinged as duplicates, so there's actually two differences  with your listings right there).

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

Yes, I was guilty of duplicate listings so thats all sorted,  but Im being penalised for listings that are similar. Suspension just came off today so I just listed one item in particular that is still similar but is completely different. One is a plant and the other seeds.Ebay have been taking these off...here it is . Tell me what Im doing wrong

here is the seed one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321381320423?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

here is the plant one

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321381310195?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Oh and the rule isnt to protect the seller , its supposed to protect the buyers....From what?

I havent heard of anything yet that says  "To protect sellers ,we are going to do this"

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

Did you ask eBay why THEY believe them to be duplicate?

Cos, it doesn't matter what any of us think, we somehow have to work out WTH eBay is thinking.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

yes I did but I need to actually TALK to someone but in that area its email only...I will copy and paste my last 2 listings and email it to them and see wht they say.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Duplicate listings

I don't know the garden stuff

but could seed not plant be interpreted as keyword spamming?

What if you started your titles with sdomething like

Seeds for "totally awesome looking purple flower"    (I forgot the name, sorry, but WOW! If I was a bee, I'd wanna marry that plant!)

or Seeds to grow.....

and then

Mature "purple plant"

or whatever the correct terminology is?

also, seen this with a lady struggling with paper pattern listings, her gallery picture was showing a pic of the finished garment and customers were buying her item expecting the finished item.

I'm wondering if you need to have a picture 9of the seeds in your gallery picture?

I know, a picture of seeds just doesn't do that amazing plant justice, but it may go some way towards convincing eBay to leave you alone?

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply