BIG hint on non paying bidders EXCUSES

All had non paying bidders with all the excuses -sick relative, lost job, marriage breakdown etc etc etc. 

Most sellers seem to except these excuses without checking and just cancel the sale, but these are just usually excuses as they have usually just changed their mind and bought something else.

Spend 1 minute on the adanced tag, put buyer ID in, and look up cpmpleted items they have bid on recently, not  won only as that narrows things down too much. You usually find they have been bidding on other things after the so called 'job loss' etc. And remember they all do not show up on the search! Usually find they have won lots of things recently and yet still have a low feedback result for that time. (And remember not all the completed items show up).Why?? because they have used excuses to the sellers who have accepted it as true. 

It is always surprising the items they have usually bid on. Cannot pay for your little item one day, but next day buy something else.

Wake up sellers, put a did not pay report in, claim the fee back and put a comment in their feedback for other sellers to see. If they have not paid they can not leave you feedback back.

If you can be bothered you can drop a quick email to other buyers that they have bought from, and not left any feedback yet to see if they paid them. No feedback usually means they gave them an excuse and got out of the sale too. Easy to check as you can see what there feedback number is, so even tho ebay ID does not show, the same feedback number does.

Find a quick email to say sorry but I have to put in a report to ebay to get my fees back and you will get a strike against you usually gets results of payment  

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If a buyer asks me to cancel a transaction I will do that since they asked.

Since it's their request it's easy to get your FVF credited after 7-days if they do nothing about the cancellation request. Or even if they rejected it. But I've never had that happen. Usually they just do nothing.

If they give me 50 excuses that I've heard before then I just raise a UID after 4-days and close it if they still don't pay.

Either way I get my FVF back. And they get a strike to help others (and me) avoid them in future.

I don't have time for all the detective work. Got better things to move on with.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Instead of doing all that why not just stat an UPID and then after the time is up the buyer will get a strike and sellers can block buyers with too many strikes.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I just open UIDs. No hassles, no having to accept or read excuses, no emotions/personalities. Definitely not going to waste my time doing advanced searches.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Thanks for the info on looking up bidders history. I have had quite a lot of non payers in the past but luckily none recently until last week, thanks to the advance tab I know that this buyer purchased 2 other very similar items the same day & just didn't bother paying me. I always report non payers after 4 days & place them on my blocked list immediately. I have in place very strict buyer requirements to try & keep the non payers at bay, but there is always going to be non payers unfortunately. I had some time to spare so thought I would have a look at my blocked list & run it through the advance tab, It's amazing how many of my blocked bidders are still at it, 1 has won 15 items within the past month alone & only paid for 3 another has won 21 & only paid for 12. The sooner all sellers use the buyer requirements in their listings or buyer requirements are made mandatory or ebay allow serial offenders to be named & shamed the sooner serial non payers will become a thing of the past.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

do any of you guys use the unpaid item assistant?

up to now i havent used it but i just set it up to open a case after 4 days

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Yes, I set it up last week, works automatically and I get fees back. I do not relist the item as it may put me over the free listings amount.

I sell - they bid and win, invoice sent automatically by EBay, 4 days to pay. No mercy shown.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

at first i was worried that it was too harsh and all it would do would cause me pain from disgruntled buyers

but... ALL decent buyers pay within 4 days.. and its usually the ones that havent paid after 4 days that wont pay after 7.. so i figure i would set it up to do auto.

I was sending a "friendly reminder' after 4 days then opening UID after 5 days

It seems all my friendly reminders were falling on deaf ears

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is back on topic more... i have one at the moment that gave me a classic excuse (sob story)

initially told me they would "pay next week"... after a few days i asked when they are paying. I was told "on saturday night"

The message i got was about being an 80yr old just out of hospital after a hip replacement. This person buys alot of weird things for a woman of 80 and theres be alot SINCE they won my auction

Thanks to the OP i just checked all this

I have opened a UID and from now on i will ignore these types of sob stories and let my Automatic UID assistant just do its job

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Yes always use it, have it set to go after 4 days. Need to keep an eye on it though as sometimes it doesn't work automatically. Even if I get the sob story from a seller I let the unpaid assistant do it's job, if they pay within the allotted 4 days all well & good if they don't fvf credited & all I've lost is my time.
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply