EBAY NEW RULES "MANAGED PAYMENTS" Too Complicated?? I'm Out

I just received an email telling me of the new managed payment rules; Tiers with different fees, Direct payments to bank accounts etc.

It's too confusing, so I may still purchase on Ebay; but, I will no longer sell.

Good luck every one, and stay safe.

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

40 REPLIES 40

See ya

Message 2 of 41
Latest reply

As I'm not a business and don't have a store. I'm quite happy to sell the odd item on another platform, i.e Gumtree;  and might explore others such as, ETSY, Amazon, Trading post, etc.

I really would like to keep using pay pal to buy as well as sell; unfortunately, E bay will no longer give me that option.

But as I said If an item I want is on E bay, I'll still consider  buying using pay pal 🙂

Message 3 of 41
Latest reply

With Etsy, your items need to be handmade, vintage or a supply item (to make something else, ie: beads) and you will need to provide full identifying information before you can set up an account. Etsy works on managed payments too - they take all the fees upfront and the remainder is sent to your bank account. Only certain countries can offer Paypal, and Australia is not one of them. The items that you have sold in the past would not be allowed on Etsy.

On Amazon, you will also need to do a full identification and verification of yourself (even more strict than Ebay and Etsy). Fees on Amazon are substantially higher and they do not support Paypal. Amazon is a nightmare for sellers and their customer service is even worse than Ebay's.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Message 4 of 41
Latest reply

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll stick with Gumtree for now if I want to sell anything, I've done ok there; and I can still use pay pal.

Unless it's a cash pick up.

Cheers

Message 5 of 41
Latest reply

Me too!!  why fix something, that isn't broken!!!!!!

Message 6 of 41
Latest reply

since the comparison mentions what would be Etsy's total fees payable on a sale , inclusive of payment transfer costs ?

a quick glance on their site and I found 5% of sale and postage cost plus listing fees 

I'm guessing they are cheaper than eBay>

For every person that jumps ship, and I've been jumping for a few years, eBay's value for money and return on fees falls, being directly related to buyer and seller loyalty to their platform.

Regardless of selling I've been buying more from AliExpress and Bang good recently, in line with how some overseas sellers don't offer their items on eBay anymore. One particular new part I would buy bulk of via eBay for local repair jobs just disappeared from eBay when I went to restock. Google searching found them , but on AliExpress.

Many businesses, should they start to lose customers, lower their prices in effort to attract new trade, not simply charge more to those customers who remain with them.

Message 7 of 41
Latest reply

I think it's totally wrong and unfair that Ebay suddenly dictates how it's sellers get paid, regardless how the actual customer pays. There are so many reasons why sellers prefer to be paid through PayPal, as for some people, PayPal is used as an extra savings account they can use to easily pay for certain bills and other necessities.  This way the little extra money they make selling unwanted goods is helping them save the money in their bank for other expenses such as rent or mortgage or saving for their first home etc. And for Ebay to make this decision to limit how their sellers get paid, after all these years of making life somewhat easy us sellers, it won't surprise me if a lot of small sellers just throw up their hands and say well that's done it for me. EBay's payment enforcement only really benefit's the hard core sellers and bigger businesses, not really for the little guys who are already doing tough.

This is all how I see it anyway, if you disagree then I really envy you because this is going to ruin my future plans. Thanks for that Ebay.  NOT.

Message 8 of 41
Latest reply

I could not have expressed your point of view any better; except to say that I do not want E bay to have their fingers in my bank account.

I agree little fish like us don't count.

Message 9 of 41
Latest reply

sylho0
Community Member

I agree.  Never give out bank details on this type of platform.   I’m out also….

Message 10 of 41
Latest reply