EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though item has not been returned?

EBay is now issuing refunds to buyers even though items have not being returned.

I feel so let down.

I have a buyer who was nt happy with her item and asked if she could return it, no problem we said, still waiting for item to be return? Just receive a notice from EBay saying they have ruled in the buyers favour.

EBay has now given my buyer a full refund and gets to keep the item.

Why are buyers allowed to keep items and not have to return?

Why are sellers penalized?

Why is it all for the buyers?

This is going to open the flood gates to buyers to open disputes without having to be accountable for returning items. Especially if its as easy as saying they don't want the item?

As a seller we consistently have to send items with tracking as proof as delivery.

I have just tried to send an appeal and surprise it wont send, just another glitch.

Sorry feeling very let down.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

pictureper, Call ebay and tell them that you have not recieved the returned item as yet. If what your saying is correct, the buyer has your goods and your refund. IMO that is THEFT.

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I had a similar experience to this a while ago (although it was me that refunded the buyer because I had made an error in colour). I also sent the buyer a pre-paid, addressed Express satchel for the return of the item - which she agreed to do.

After 2 weeks, still no return although buyer claims she posted it "immediately".  I gave it another week, then sent the buyer an email informing her that to claim on my insurance for the missing item, I needed to report it to the police as stolen/missing, and was just letting her know as a courtesy.

Immediately, I received an extremely abusive email - still claiming that the item had been posted "weeks ago", and threatening me with all sorts of things for harrassment.

The following day, my item arrived in the mail, postmarked the day before.

I think a lot of eBay's new rules are making this sort of thing much more common.

Marina.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

hahahahaha Marina, Well done for calling her bluff. I would have sent her a msg saying that the parcel arrived and thankyou for Lying for weeks about it. PS Post Office Stamps Tell All. Then whack her on your "Special List"

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

IMO that is Fraud, and Ebay is facilitating it - not just allowing it to happen, but actually handing her YOUR money when you have not received the item back.

Id call Ebay and tell them this, and that youll make a complaint to the ACCC if they dont refund the money to you immediately.

You can make a complaint online, its a very easy online form.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

I have just sent a meassage to EBay letting them know how dissapointed I am with their descision.

As a seller we are accountable for everything and also need to be providing tracking numbers as a proof of delivery. I am shocked that its not the same for the buyer. Not only in this case the buyer still has the item but also EBay has refunded purchase price and  the postage also?

I cant believe it!

I have seen a lot of changes over the years but this is definetly one that I do not agree with?

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Wait, surely the buyer needs to provide tracking for the return - thats the minimum PayPal postage standard for sellers.

How could they consider any less for buyers?

So if  this is correct, then all its takes is a buyers word. So buyers simply need to "say so" and thats all eBay require?

Its beyond any logic if its true. A ceratin percentage of buyers will lie. Thats just statistically going to happen. That number will grow as the eBay "free stuff" scams become more widely known and as easy as falling off a log. They even have that big juicy return button just staring at you as a buyer in your purchase list, tempting to be pushed.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

I wouldn't be wasting my time mucking about with eBay. I'd immediately be lodging official complaints with the ACCC, Fair Trading, the FOS, and ACORN, and the only contact I'd be having with eBay would be via an email simply stating that I'm letting them know as a courtesy that I've lodged official complaints with the aforementioned bodies. As far as I'm concerned, eBay are not just condoning, but actually promoting theft, and it's beyond time that somebody took the thieving ba$tards down a peg or two. Smiley Mad

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

I have also been stung by this, buyer lodged a 'not as described' case and we had 5 days to reply, this was over the xmass period to and ebay didnt count 5 business days just 5 days. Anyway during the 5 days we were in constant contact with ebay about how unfair this complaint was and how to do we deal with it, they said send a return post label which we said we cant do then they said they will reply before the 5 days was up......next thing we know $140 is refunded to the buyer with nothing more than a message from ebay to the buyer asking them to return the item. Not surprisingly no replys to mesages to the buyer and a phone call results in a hang up as soon as i say where im from.

Further contact with ebay now just results in the same reply.......read our policys, awsome help considering all the fees i pay.

I am wondering tho, is this considered theft and could the police be involved? The buyer is in the USA tho?

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

I am on the understanding that the Austrailian laws is the buyer must return the item to the place of purchase before a refund can be done. Also change of mind does not automatically give the buyer a right to a refund.

I believe it is not right that EBay is playing with our money and our items .

I will contact Fair Trade if i do not get a suitable outcome. This is going to open the gates to all dishonest buyers and just another way to promote fraud!

I would like to know why EBay has made this descision?

Why a buyer can not be accountable?

Why an item does nt have to be returned?

Why does a buyer not even have to pay return post?

I am in disbelief this policy has even being allowed.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply