Ebay and Paypal do not recognize each other's policy on chargeback

Sellers brace yourself, both companies have opened a wide door for abuse.

Two chargeback policies which are in total contradiction of each other are currently in play.

Look at my feedback and you will get a better picture.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Ebay and Paypal do not recognize each other's policy on chargeback

I'm not sure what we're meant to be looking at? Someone left you a grey dot because they didn't receive their item. What is unusual about that?

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

It has more to do with my reply to their feedback.

Who dictates what the shipping address is, Ebay or Paypal?

Ebay has one shipping address, Paypal has another.

Ship to the Paypal address and do a chargeback via Ebay, Ebay finds in their favour because it was not the one supplied by Ebay.

Ship to the Ebay address and do a chargeback via Paypal, Paypal finds in their favour because it was not the one supplied by Paypal.

Ebay and Paypal do not recognize the other's policy which leaves the whole process for abuse.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

I'm also confused.   Grey dot says they didn't receive item.  Then your reply says

their address is wrong?

Surely a message to them and not just on fb reply would have been a better choice?

And you're talking 2 chargebacks?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@duck---dodgers wrote:

It has more to do with my reply to their feedback.

Who dictates what the shipping address is, Ebay or Paypal?

Ebay has one shipping address, Paypal has another.

Ship to the Paypal address and do a chargeback via Ebay, Ebay finds in their favour because it was not the one supplied by Ebay.

Ship to the Ebay address and do a chargeback via Paypal, Paypal finds in their favour because it was not the one supplied by Paypal.

Ebay and Paypal do not recognize the other's policy which leaves the whole process for abuse.

Alway ship to the PP address if paid by PP.
If paid by PP then the chargeback can only happen via PP,(eBay has nothing to do with it).
You can't do a chargeback via eBay.
If you have a chargeback then you need to contact PP and upload theEmail with the stated address.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@duck---dodgers wrote:

Sellers brace yourself, both companies have opened a wide door for abuse.

Two chargeback policies which are in total contradiction of each other are currently in play.

Look at my feedback and you will get a better picture.

You have a postage description of "Standard" for the Herald Sun liftout.

If I am to assume that means untracked letter post then you are screwed either way.

No tracking = no PayPal seller protection and there is no seller protection even for tracking with eBay.

The advice above is correct; if paid via PayPal, use only the PP address supported by tracking and you'll be covered.

In all other situations you'll lose you money (eBay consider it a cost of doing business).

If using untracked services you are relying on the honesty of the buyer.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

It is nothing to do with them having different policies. When an item sells ebay send an email which has the buyer's primary delivery address or, in some cases, the last one they used.  There is no address yet in Paypal, that only happens when the buyer goes through checkout and pays with Paypa lwhere they can leave the address as shown or change it to any address they want. Once checkout is completed the chosen address will be given to Paypal and both will be the same.  If you use the ebay delivery address before checkout has been completed you are gambling on the fact that they have not given another address for delivery. That is not ebay or Paypal's fault, just a lack of understanding on your part. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply