Ebay and Paypal return case opened

So I had reservations (to put it mildly) about a buyer who bought a projector from me. After expressing my concerns to them, they assured me, well not really but told me it would be fine blah. Gut instinct still saw red flags, but I decided to post. Within an hour of receiving it, sent two messages and opened a case, in quick succession, by the time I saw it, the case was open. Attached a picture of a projector image on the wall with lines running through it, along with contradictory statements about how it could have been Australia Post who caused the damage. Could I put in a claim with them for compensation? Said it worked better when he pressed down on the top of the projector. Gasp! This was mint condition, working perfectly, like new. Anyway, I have a few theories about his intent but too early to know for sure. In short, I requested photos of the projector itself (after he sent through copies of text messages to his family?), I had spoken to Australia Post and they confirmed what I already knew. My packaging was perfect, securely boxed, and handled well by them, delivery driver took a picture, but they said if he thought damaged had been caused, to return it in the packaging to them for damage assessment. He refused to do that and never sent anymore photos even though I requested them 3 times.

Meanwhile, unbeknown to me, he had also opened a paypal case. I didn't think they were allowed to do that so I called paypal who told me not to worry, to not do anything on Ebay, when it escalated they (ebay) would rule in my favour when they saw their was a paypal case open. Well guess what, that didn't happen! Case closed in the buyer's favour today, buyer told to return the item and as soon as tracking shows it delivered, they will refund. 

Nothing I can do now until it arrives, have a chance to assess it, if indeed it is the same projector. Given the mint condition of it when it left here, I'm very nervous about losing my money and a saleable item 

I contacted the ACCC today, paypal told me they out rank Ebay but that's a joke. Nobody out ranks the company that rules the world

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Appeal the decision and quote their own policy to them :-

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

the relevant part is this :-

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

What were the red flags prior to selling?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

Bit more information. The buyer already had a projector. His story was he was buying it for his brother.

Doing a bit of sleuthing today after a friend told me those lines can be achieved from increased shutter speed on a camera or something like that, but the buyer has just bought this>

SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Male Female Data Cable Extension Cord For Laptop PC Camera (#401384167836)

Anyone have any thoughts on that? Yes I know the proof will be in the pudding but conjecture is fun lol

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

Appeal the decision and quote their own policy to them :-

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-pol...

the relevant part is this :-

Capture.PNG

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

Wow. Thank you so much. I've been so upset about this. I kind of live on the poverty line and find it disappointing the lack of regard for sellers on here.

I appreciate your advice. Thank you

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

No worries dusty, the problem may come with them opening the Paypal dispute after the MBG one, but they should still look into it.

I would suggest though that when you get it back you video opening the parcel with someone else present, in case they try sending a different projector back to you. If that happens then a Stat Dec and a police report should fix them.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Thanks yes I'll have a friend videoing

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

Did you by chance record the the serial number of the projector you sold prior to sending it?

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I think the sticker for it was in 1 photo tazzie, but I couldn't make it out, hopefully dusty can make it out from the photos on the computer/camera.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

Ah yes - I see it, it's enough to make out.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply