Ebay and Paypal return case opened

So I had reservations (to put it mildly) about a buyer who bought a projector from me. After expressing my concerns to them, they assured me, well not really but told me it would be fine blah. Gut instinct still saw red flags, but I decided to post. Within an hour of receiving it, sent two messages and opened a case, in quick succession, by the time I saw it, the case was open. Attached a picture of a projector image on the wall with lines running through it, along with contradictory statements about how it could have been Australia Post who caused the damage. Could I put in a claim with them for compensation? Said it worked better when he pressed down on the top of the projector. Gasp! This was mint condition, working perfectly, like new. Anyway, I have a few theories about his intent but too early to know for sure. In short, I requested photos of the projector itself (after he sent through copies of text messages to his family?), I had spoken to Australia Post and they confirmed what I already knew. My packaging was perfect, securely boxed, and handled well by them, delivery driver took a picture, but they said if he thought damaged had been caused, to return it in the packaging to them for damage assessment. He refused to do that and never sent anymore photos even though I requested them 3 times.

Meanwhile, unbeknown to me, he had also opened a paypal case. I didn't think they were allowed to do that so I called paypal who told me not to worry, to not do anything on Ebay, when it escalated they (ebay) would rule in my favour when they saw their was a paypal case open. Well guess what, that didn't happen! Case closed in the buyer's favour today, buyer told to return the item and as soon as tracking shows it delivered, they will refund. 

Nothing I can do now until it arrives, have a chance to assess it, if indeed it is the same projector. Given the mint condition of it when it left here, I'm very nervous about losing my money and a saleable item 

I contacted the ACCC today, paypal told me they out rank Ebay but that's a joke. Nobody out ranks the company that rules the world

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

@tazzieterror wrote:
Do you know it's definitely meant to be an AP tracking number? When I've had to return items, eBay's system defaults to trying to provide me a Parcelpoint shipping label.

I'm wondering if they've sent it COD through another carrier. Time will tell I suppose. They appear to have some experience with returns, reading through the lines

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I'll call Australia Post tomorrow. 

You'd be better off going into the PO and talking to them face to face dusty.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:
Do you know it's definitely meant to be an AP tracking number? When I've had to return items, eBay's system defaults to trying to provide me a Parcelpoint shipping label.

Well it says Australia Post (in case details near the tracking number given). The number is 33yu003273301000650802

Is that a number format you've seen before? No evidence of it being lodged over the counter which makes me more suspicious. I'll call Australia Post tomorrow. Unless they've used another carrier or a courier but my address is a PO box so that's not likely

Correct tracking number is as below - the 'L' was missing (3rd character).  It is indeed a standard eBay return postage label:

Spoiler
33LYU003273301000650802

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

But if they provided the return label, the number would auto update on the case so it must be correct. I thought he was paying to return it. I hope I'm not paying for that too. God I hate this website

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

...the number would auto update on the case so it must be correct.

Incorrect - I have provided you the correct tracking number.

I thought he was paying to return it. I hope I'm not paying for that too

You *are* paying.

God I hate this website

There's nothing wrong with the website.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

You *are* paying.

God I hate this website

Excuse me? What do you mean you provided the right tracking number? 

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

@tazzieterror wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

You *are* paying.

God I hate this website

Excuse me? What do you mean you provided the right tracking number? 

Oh I think I know what you mean. BUT the package still hasn't arrived. Ebay eventually ruled in my favour yesterday. Mind you I notified them he had a paypal case open, after which they ruled in his favour. Finally closed the case yesterday but now the buyer had had escalated the case he opened on paypal!! With still no sign of the projector and had still not provided photos of the projector, all this is because of a picture of an image on a wall that was most probably coming from his old projector.

So I assume he was sent the shipping label but never actually sent it back. I checked at the PO today, nothing there.

He also seems to know exactly what he's doing. He escalated this case Friday afternoon in the hope I wouldn't see it before the weekend. It was due to close on the 30th.

You said there's nothing wrong with the site? I respect your opinion but don't share it lol

I will be livid if he gets refunded. I'd lose the money and the projector, which I fully believe was his initial plan. Surely being given a label isn't proof of postage? This is so stressful damn

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Tracking No REMOVED shows it's been waiting at Hillarys PO since monday.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

YUP - that tracking number with an 'L' inserted after the first two numbers definitely says it's awaiting collection at the PO. Always check, double check, and check again
Message 29 of 29
Latest reply