Overseas Sales

somakram_2
Community Member

Want to make sure I'm doing the right thing (ie not fraudulent) and also the possibility not being scammed. 

Will keep it concise and to the point.

Listed a Sinar Digital Camera set.

Specified local pick up (wanted buyer to witness condition and ask any tecchnical questions)

Overseas buyer offered and said he would organise pick up by friend.
Accepted offer and then Covid-19, couldn't meet buyers friend. I'm reluctant to freight incase of damage.

Have suggested cancel deal which seems acceptable to buyer, but seems very keen to get the product.

Has suggested I send a tracking number using a postcard/letter so he can release funds from PayPal.

Then we wait for his friend or work out another transport method.

Lots of emails back and forth plus snapchat over 3 weeks, hard I know but feel he is genuine.

Ebay have their money from the deal.

What could go wrong. Is this too complicated. As I say reluctant to freight incase of damage so still prefer local pick up.

Long question sorry, it's more about money side, wether legal or open to scam.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Overseas Sales

go-tazz
Community Member

@somakram_2 wrote:

Has suggested I send a tracking number using a postcard/letter so he can release funds from PayPal.

Total scam as that's not how it works as Paypal do not hold funds and they would use the letter as proof that

they only received a letter and not the item.

In the end they would still want it posted so they can pay via a stolen credit card or a hijacked Paypal account.

The friend pick up idea is to make it sound more genuine but is never going to happen.

Pick up items are best paid for by cash on pickup and eBay will not hold money.

What could go wrong. Is this too complicated. As I say reluctant to freight incase of damage so still prefer local pick up.

Plenty can go wrong as you'll lose the item and receive no money.

As stated cancel and use the problem with the buyers address reason.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

You are about to be ripped off.  Cease all communication. and put them on your blocked list

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Overseas Sales

@somakram_2 wrote:

That bit makes it sound like a scam - beware, if you have ANY reservations don't follow through with the sale, cancel and use the "problem with the buyers address" reason.

I assume it is on another ID since you don't have any completed listings on this ID.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

go-tazz
Community Member

@somakram_2 wrote:

Total scam as that's not how it works as Paypal do not hold funds and they would use the letter as proof that

they only received a letter and not the item.

In the end they would still want it posted so they can pay via a stolen credit card or a hijacked Paypal account.

The friend pick up idea is to make it sound more genuine but is never going to happen.

Pick up items are best paid for by cash on pickup and eBay will not hold money.

Plenty can go wrong as you'll lose the item and receive no money.

As stated cancel and use the problem with the buyers address reason.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

You are about to be ripped off.  Cease all communication. and put them on your blocked list

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Overseas Sales

Scam scam scam 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply