Ebay cannot verify personal info after registering for Managed Payments

I signed up for the new Managed Payments system a few weeks ago.

A couple of days ago I got a red bar at the top of my Seller Hub saying they cannot verify some of my information.

I've had a look and everything is correct, except that there are "xxx"'s over the day and month of my birthdate.

When I click on it, it says the DOB is in an incorrect format.....but there is only one format to put it in DD/MM/YYY.

Anyone else having this stupid problem?

UPDATE: Just saw there is a link to upload photo ID, which I guess it what we'll all need to do in the end.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Ebay cannot verify personal info after registering for Managed Payments

Plus all Government charges rise on 1 July every year, so no doubt passports will get a price rise too despite no one travelling.
Message 11 of 47
Latest reply

I did this - reversed the date order to MM/DD/YYYY and it seemed to go away (after reading this thread) as kept getting invalid DOB format when doing DD/MM/YYYY. Had been uploading ID multiple times and wasting time with CS who don't seem to know anything about this.

Message 12 of 47
Latest reply

It's probably worth reporting to eBay so someone can make a note of the bug.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 13 of 47
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
It's probably worth reporting to eBay so someone can make a note of the bug.

I spent most of May talking to various members of their "Onboarding Team" (I kid you not) about one particular, acknowledged problem with the registration form/process.

They aren't going to alter anything.

Message 14 of 47
Latest reply

They certainly won't do anything if they're not made aware of the issue.

They will flag technical issues for their IT team if asked to, though.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 15 of 47
Latest reply

EBay is has told me that they will not accept the NSW issued photo ID as legit. I don't drive or travel internationally so don't have a licence or passport. Basically I have come up against a brick wall.

Message 16 of 47
Latest reply

@cyndykittprod -

Did you never have to verify yourself to Paypal? They required proper photo ID some years ago after I opened my shop and started getting lots of sales.

If you were to join other selling sites such as Amazon or Etsy, they all require similar photo identification (BEFORE you can even open an account), so this is not an unusual step for a large site to be taking. 

I don't see why it's such a big deal to at least get a passport at a minimum and certainly wouldn't be closing up shop because of it. Paying a $100 for formal identification is worth it to carry on earning an income, even if the passport never gets used.

Your choice at the end of the day though.

Message 17 of 47
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Paying a $100 for formal identification is worth it to carry on earning an income, even if the passport never gets used.

A passport is $300. That is the kind of up front cost that is easy for some to make, very difficult or even prohibitive  for others. A learner's permit is $67 in SA, though (looks like $25 in NSW?), so if looking for the most cost effective form of acceptable photo ID that won't ever be used for its intended purpose, that may be the way to go, though requires a bit of homework to pass the initial test. 

Every other site (including PayPal) that has asked me to prove identity has accepted any form of government-issued photo ID, which extends to proof of age cards in most states. In NSW it's just called a photo card and is issued by the same government service that issues driver's licenses, and on the website even states "Because the Photo Card has the same application process and security features as a driver licence, you can use it everywhere that accepts a driver licence as photo identification.", so there is no reason eBay can't accept this form of ID too, except for just wanting to be short-sighted and exclusionary. 

Message 18 of 47
Latest reply

Ran out of time to edit Smiley Embarassed But just needed to add it does cost money to take the initial test (in addition to the license cost), so I guess you'd want to make sure you pass the first time, but if you can manage it, the total cost would be around that $100 mark (eg test is $38 in SA and $47 in NSW, combined total for one attempt & pass making it $105 in SA and $72 in NSW). 

Message 19 of 47
Latest reply

Wow, $300 for a passport. I admit that it's been a while since I last got one.

If a shop is not making sales or making only a few sales per month, then I can understand closing up if the effort is greater than the reward. But if someone has a successful shop, then I feel that $300 would be a good investment if it was the one thing that allowed a person to continue to earn an income.

Closing up a shop over the sake of ID seems to be just spiting oneself. But on the other hand, sellers who close up are just making it easier for the rest of us to make a living.

Message 20 of 47
Latest reply