Ebay estimated delivery times.

Just sent off an item purchased last night, Express Post as requested and was advised by Aust Post that delivery would be 5 days because the recipient is outside of the Express network - this is apparantly faster than normal delivery, but obviously not overnight.

I went back to the listing to contact the buyer to let them know and lo and behold - eBay's estimated delivery time (presumably from yesterday) is 3 days!

I feel a defect coming on - and possibly worse......

Marina.

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

5 days?  Gee. I live outside the network and it takes me 2 days for Express to arrive. Your buyer must live in an extremely remote area!

Message 2 of 36
Latest reply

Marina hopefully your buyer already realises as they may have used Express before.  As well as I get on with & know my local PO staff, they are always very cagey when it comes to advising delivery times for Express post - they will often say things like, well it is outside the metro area, so could take 3 - 5 days !!  Horrifying really for how much extra it costs.  I've even had outer metro take 2 days.

If you message the buyer and let them know immediately, hopefully they'll understand it's not your fault & spare you the defect - oh, and tell a little porky if asked the question 'did it arrive in the specified time ?'

Best of luck with it & keep us posted

Message 3 of 36
Latest reply

I've let the buyer know, but the advice from Aust Post wasn't from staff but through the eParcel system that I have my account with. I'm more concerned with the difference between what Aust Post are quoting as a delivery time and what eBay are telling buyers.

Marina.

Message 4 of 36
Latest reply

@nevillesdaughter wrote:

I've let the buyer know, but the advice from Aust Post wasn't from staff but through the eParcel system that I have my account with. I'm more concerned with the difference between what Aust Post are quoting as a delivery time and what eBay are telling buyers.

Marina.

But we all know eBay have had it wrong for what seems like forever, lol.  In all honesty, I find most buyers are very understanding and realise, once you've posted it, it is out of your control and they are at the mercy of Aust. Post.  I hope in this instance

a.) It arrives within 2 - 3 days max and  

b.) that the buyer is understanding

Message 5 of 36
Latest reply

Problem is buyers can get in the habit of asking where is? as soon as estimate expires. That in itself is a defect.

Many sellers have increased their stated handling time to cover this, but that of course could deter buyers who things ASAP.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 36
Latest reply

Increase you handling times to extend ebay's guessimated delivery times.

Message 7 of 36
Latest reply

The fact you have messaged them is good.

If I were a buyer, in those circumstances, I would still give good feedback even if it arrived a day or so out of the ebay guidelines.

The problem as I see it is ebay now asks a buyer, even after good feedback and stars, Did this item arrive on or before X date? (which was the ebay estimated date).

I think most buyers would just give a factual answer-yes or no.

You can't ask them to lie, it would look dodgy.

In fact I am not sure lying is the best option as it would just reinforce ebay's views that their estimates are spot on.

The thing I would like to know is-if a buyer says no, it did not arrive on or before such and such a date, does that cause any defect? Or is it just an ebay info gathering exercise?

Message 8 of 36
Latest reply

It would be nice to think it's an eBay info gathering exercise & that they will adjust their guesstimated delivery dates accordingly

Well, we can dream & live in hope Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 36
Latest reply

@wendshee wrote:

5 days?  Gee. I live outside the network and it takes me 2 days for Express to arrive. Your buyer must live in an extremely remote area!

The OP is in Brisbane. I live 105kms north west of Bendigo in Victoria, so not exactly remote, but rural. Express post to me takes about 4 days to arrive from there. 6 to 7 days is normal for ordinary post from Brissie.

Message 10 of 36
Latest reply