Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

Ebay Australia's switch over to managed payments (for my business) is a major impediment not a benefit.

I am a seller who uses my paypal funds received from sales (on a near daily basis) to send payments across the globe primarily for business.

Under the new Ebay managed payments, I will now have to wait up to 2+ business days to now have my sales funds deposited into my bank account from Ebay (maybe another business day before the inefficient banks here process the payment) & then will have to process another transfer back to Paypal (Another 5+ business days) - I now have no other option around this after numerous chats/calls to Ebay customer service/accounts trying to opt out of managed payments or seek an alternative. The current system works well for me, even if I have to pay a higher cost.

As a seller, I personally couldn't care less about Paypal's spin off from Ebay & the 'business rift' that has developed between the two but there has to been an alternative (Hyperwallet etc) or some businesses will suffer from this narrow minded approach & could potentially leave the platform - is this in Ebay's interest?

Message 1 of 152
Latest reply
151 REPLIES 151

Re: Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

with you 100% PERCENT wwp42..LEAVING ebay after 14+ years..i WONT be handing over my govt ID nor will I be allowing an outfit to "manage" my payments Sorry I've tried to talk to ebay..(got a better response from my  neighbours brick wall)..this time Ebay has gone way too far..it's hopefully their Alta Vista / My Space  moment..plenty of other selling options..FED UP with all of the rules and regulations & Exorbitant fees for a very low ball product..tired of hearing of roosters crowing and pacing their customer service reps backyards..when im trying (in plain English) to resolve a problem with a person who cant even make their own name comprehensible. Thought I lived in a free market in a democracy not some bloody commie business model that is one way or no way..Stick you managed payments where they belong into the digital dustbin!

Message 91 of 152
Latest reply

Re: Ebay managed payments (Australia) Opt out or alternative payment options to bank deposit

The issue is not who is processing the card, or who is making the decision, the issue is who gets stuck paying the cost of a chargeback, witch will be the seller.

When ebay or paypal are insulated from that cost, because they just pass it on to the seller, regardless of if it could even possible have been the sellers fault. Then there is no compulsion for them to do anything about fraudulent transactions.

ebay will be making a profit of the transaction. the scammer gets there product and the money, ebay makes there profit, only the seller loses money.

The amount of fraudulent transactions goes up because its not in the interest of ebay to pursue it.

Message 92 of 152
Latest reply

You do spend an inordinate amount of time disparaging eBay and managed payments and threatening to leave, and yet your store is still open, with live lisitngs.

Perhaps your energy would be better spent actually trying to comprehend the new procedures and information and advice given by the many sellers who remain, than just constantly bagging the entire site.

Or as you keep promising, perhaps close your doors and wander off to another selling platform.

Good luck with which ever you decide to do

Message 93 of 152
Latest reply

@wwp42 wrote:

The issue is not who is processing the card, or who is making the decision, the issue is who gets stuck paying the cost of a chargeback, witch will be the seller.

My point is this is largely untested.

By which I mean the outcome of disputes, and the application of ebay's seller protection policies under managed payments where CC chargebacks are concerned, have not been detailed here aside from one instance where the seller did qualify for protection, initially lost the funds, but was ultimately reimbursed after pointing out to ebay that they qualified for protection.

Your complaint seems to be that you won't be able to use the threat of losing more money (via AFCA dispute fees levied against a payment processor) to get said payment processor to reimburse your funds rather than pay those fees, in cases where you didn't qualify for protection, and if that is the case, I don't really know what to tell you, as I'm coming at it knowing the vast majority of payment processors offer zero protection for CC chargebacks, and no complaints to AFCA (even when the processor is registered with them) will help. (i.e. eBay is still offering better protection than if you had merchant facilities on your own website). 

Message 94 of 152
Latest reply

Seller protection is a lie, without any independent government regulation ebay is a law unto themselves, witch is precisly what this move is designed to do.  As i already said all your relying upon is the "benevolence of the evilBay corporation"

Well You as someone who has not sold on ebay for over a year are welcome to stick around and test the waters, I as someone who had $40,000+ worth of stock list until yesterday am out of here to safer places to do bussines.

Message 95 of 152
Latest reply

You can (quite obviously) do whatever you like with your business, I'll be the first to tell someone (everyone) that no one should hinge their business decisions on what I think or have to say.

If you'll recall, I acknowleged there are som areas of concern with MP, which I share, hence why I asked if you'd update the thread on the outcome of the resolution process(es) you go through with your complaints.

I'm continuing to respond to you, though, with counterpoints, because you're posting statements which contain forgone conclusions without the waters actually being properly tested - or at least without the results of those tests being widely known and publicised. If you have inside info, or at least sources, for some of the statements, I'd welcome them, otherwise I'm inclined to ask about, contextualise, or challenge them. 

I guess it's one of the annoying habits I developed with all the time I have not selling stuff. 😉 

Message 96 of 152
Latest reply

@wwp42 wrote:

Have never lost any money to chargebacks because of being able to put in a complaint to the ombudsman.

The last one was for $350, the payment came through paypal as a credit card payment, after a year and a half, the chargeback was initiated becuse of an unauthorised payment.

I have no access to the credit card details when some one pays online through paypal, so have no way to initiate an unauthorised payment, paypal are the card processor and its there responsibility.

naturaly after that length of time the tracking number was no longer serchable (australia post only keep trackng live for 2 months)

So with the recipt from the post office not even being acceptibal proof i shiped the item paypal took the money out of my account.

I put in a complait to the ombudsman, paypal get a chance to resolve the disput or it goes to administration and the ombudsman charges paypal around $500 to start the dadministration process and more fees as the process goes on.

Natural as a courtesy paypal setles the disput and gives me back my money, have had that senereo play out once or twince a year for 20 years.

under managed payments adyen will take the money back from ebay who will take the money back from you, and you will have no one to appeal the disition to but ebay. As soone as the scammers work out this change means they can get the product and the money it will be open slather on ebay sellers, i have aready had one scammer try it on.

1) You can still file a complaint to AFCA by selecting Adyen, Which is actually bettter than PayPal. Because legally PayPal does not have to provide you with a service, so therefore PayPal can actually block your account after filing a complaint.

2) Whilst it being true that Auspost only keeps tracking for 60 days, they actually have a historical record of it. All you need is a copy of the label or photo of the parcel and proof from Australia Post. Which also requires a bit of effort on PayPals end to read/ maybe reach out to Australia Post. I do feel the pain for that though I have had those disputes in the past.

Also dare I say for INR/Unauthorized transactions, Adyens protections likely better than PayPal, because there will be historical order details that ebay saves, and if you upload tracking that will be proof that Adyen will argue on your behalf.

3) I dont know where you are getting those numbers but they are quite higher than that and the fees from AFCA to PayPal are actually based on if PayPal is found at fault. So even if there is a slight chance of losing PayPal will always fold

4) Why do you have so many "scammers"? very unusal for small amount of sales. We do 300 transactions a week and lucky to get 1 return ever 2 weeks and pandemic aside we rarely get any INR requests.

Message 97 of 152
Latest reply

1) your not adyens customer ebay is, so your not going to be able to file a complaint, also to do so would be a breach of MP user agreement. IF paypal did block you for lodging a complain you could lodge a complaint for them doing that.

2) Unfortunately when dealing with ebay or paypals customer support located in exotic locations around the world they can only look at Australia post online tracking, they can not even ring Australia most, so after 60 days your tracking number dose not exist for them. adyen is not on your side as the seller, you the patsy who will pay for them processing of a fraudulent transaction.

3) i said the fees start at $500 and escalate from there.

4)on average i get 2 a year, but my items are expensive and hand made so it hurts alot more then flipping chines imports. i notice you have not sold anything for over a year and the fist 3 pages of you feedback as a seller are mostly red negative feedbacks that people have not received there items, it would appear that you are a scammer.

Message 98 of 152
Latest reply

@wwp42 wrote:

1) your not adyens customer ebay is, so your not going to be able to file a complaint, also to do so would be a breach of MP user agreement. IF paypal did block you for lodging a complain you could lodge a complaint for them doing that.

Incorrect, why would we have to provide ID? Why would that breach the MP user agreement, show proof. No you can't complain for them blocking your account without reason, that you agreed to. Its within the Paypal ToS. Seeing as you know so much about agreements!.

2) Unfortunately when dealing with ebay or paypals customer support located in exotic locations around the world they can only look at Australia post online tracking, they can not even ring Australia most, so after 60 days your tracking number dose not exist for them. adyen is not on your side as the seller, you the patsy who will pay for them processing of a fraudulent transaction.

What difference does it make the CS is from India or the Phillipinnes. IF you get official documentation from Australia Post, you can be covered. Do you know how seller protection works with fraudelent transactions? Adyen wouldn't be on the buyers side either so whats your point?

3) i said the fees start at $500 and escalate from there.

Wrong the fees are actually from $5,000 to $50,000 if the Registered AFCA member is found at fault

4)on average i get 2 a year, but my items are expensive and hand made so it hurts alot more then flipping chines imports. i notice you have not sold anything for over a year and the fist 3 pages of you feedback as a seller are mostly red negative feedbacks that people have not received there items, it would appear that you are a scammer.

How do you get 2 disputes a year but only sold 48 items do you have another eBay account? How could that be possible! Thas awfully high "fraud rate"  Maybe sell on E*sy, that's more for handmades.
Oh you must know me so well. It was 5 years ago, I was in hospital, before eBay changed its below standard policies, you only had 3 months to improve or lose your selling permanently. By the time I was well enough sell I only had 10 days which wasn't enough, couldn't appeal it.

Message 99 of 152
Latest reply

1)because ECA are regulated by austrac.

it says so in the MP user agreement.

Of cause you can put in a complaint its a independent ombudsman.

2)They will not accept them, have had that banging your head against the wall conversation with ebay and paypal, thank goodness for the ombudsman.

Exactly adyen and ebay are only on there own side

3) Not talking about them being found guilty, im talking about the fees the ombudsman charge them for the dispute resolution process to start.

4)I said "on average" and last year was anything but average.

Yes Etsy is a good alternative to ebay, for a long time now ebay has just become a 2 dollar shop full of seconds from china.

So ebay polices screwed you over, assuming we believe your poor little old me scammer story.

Message 100 of 152
Latest reply