Ebay notified me of wrong address.

Buyer advised they hadnt received item.  Ebay gave me the original  postal address.  Refunded in Paypal and noticed that address

was different to the one eBay gave me.  The buyer said she hadnt lived there for 10 years!  She has been buying on eBay for years

with the second address.  The sale was $8.50 with $3 post, wasnt sent with tracking as that would have made it too expensive. I would 

like to think this is  a genuine mistake by eBay, but  I am beginning to wonder  as the buyer messaged me early on and asked what was

the tracking number even though $3 was charged for postage.  Do you think the buyer is being honest saying she hasnt lived at the address for 10 years?  Cant get hold of eBay for love or money  to discuss.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay notified me of wrong address.

Could be related to this :-

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/eBay-amp-PayPal-advising-different-shipping-addresses-for-a...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Something doesn't sound right. eBay gives you the address the buyer has listed, unless she hasn't removed the old address. I haven't heard of this happening before. If it was me, I would suspect a scam.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Could be related to this :-

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/eBay-amp-PayPal-advising-different-shipping-addresses-for-a...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, I think this is possible.   

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

The address you are given initially by eBay (prior to payment) is the buyer's registered address. The address the buyer wants the item sent to is the address they select at checkout . Which is the address given by Paypal, which will be the one shown also in 'order details' post-payment.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Something doesn't sound right. eBay gives you the address the buyer has listed, unless she hasn't removed the old address. I haven't heard of this happening before. If it was me, I would suspect a scam.

It's not a scam. It's people jumping the gun.

As you would well know, given it's a theme, as padi posted.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Just as a side note, if you send without tracking, you run the risk of dishonest buyers saying it didn't arrive, regardless whether the address was correct or not. If not sending with tracking, you need to factor in a bit extra to each listing to allow for overall losses.

Can I ask where or how you accessed the shipping address from ebay? Was it via a link within an email they sent you or did you go to order details on site?

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Your problem sounds like the one discussed in the topic Padi linked to.

I encountered a similar thing where after selling an item, eBay's email to me gave a shipping address I later found out the buyer hadn't resided at for 7 years, with the correct address being the one supplied by PayPal in their email.

All my listings are buy-it-now, requiring immediate payment, so I receive a single email from eBay confirming both the sale and payment, and a payment confirmation email from PayPal as well. In the last month I've had something like a quarter of my sales exhibit this issue, where eBay's email is telling me to post to the wrong address.

I don't think there's anything suspicious about a buyer requesting a tracking number - I normally request it several days after receiving notification of an order being sent if the t/n hasn't been added on in the meantime.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

On the eBay notification email, just below the picture of the item saying
Postage Details.
Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@paris-in-my-pockets wrote:
On the eBay notification email, just below the picture of the item saying
Postage Details.

Thank you. Although the jury is still out on whether it matters where you retrieve the postage address, in my experience it's more reliable going to your sold items, yse the drop down menu to find 'order details'. Obviously with managed payments, things are changing but up to now, that has been 100% accurate for me, matching the paypal address

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply