Ebay now want to have access to my bank account and control all matters

Ebay wants to enable themselves a larger scope of financial benefit by allowing new or updated buyer payment methods. It now wants access to my bank account for payments and obviously seller fee access. Paypal are safe and I am able to discuss issues if they arrive in person to person oral communication. How can i trust an organisation that does not have human to human contact if there is an issue. If someone has direct access to my bank account and there is an issue who do I speak to , the ombudsman, This territory maybe a little too rocky for me to travel. I think the inabilty to directly speak to someone if there is an issue has put an end to my selling. I don't sell a lot, the gear i sell has a market and has local sales. are there any other sellers pulling up stumps in the selling on ebay or are all happy to have there details handled without possibilty of a telephone call to discuss any issues that arrive. If you think this is a knee jerk reaction, have you ever had to deal with a bank or other institution when there are issues with your finances, how much did they care.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Yes, many others sellers have decided that this is an airport and are announcing their departure.

Those that have correctly read the announcement will stay, adapt & reap the benefits.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Doesn't Paypal already have access to your bank account?

When you gave PP your details and verified yourself, did you kick up a stink?

Adyen is the replacement for PP and since they are regulated, they can and do require your details.

With the new system, all sellers fees are deducted at the point of sale and the remainder is what's sent to your bank account.

If you don't have a shop and you don't promote your listings, there is nothing further to pay.

I have a shop, so the only invoice I have at the moment is the monthly subscription.

You can always open up a separate bank account and use that as your linked account.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

That sounds okay except that it sounds like your bank statement is going to become messier with withdrawals at time of each sale, rather than one big withdrawal for a monthly invoice like before. Is that right?
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

It does sound like that.

If I were still selling I think I would indeed open a secondary account as an eBay trading account only.

I imagine large volume sellers have a seperate account already, but not a bad idea for the smaller less frequent sellers also

Most people have quite a bit of incoming/outgoing in a day to day account, and with added sales/fees/refunds it could become a nightmare.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Tracking of ingoing and out goings. The ability to quickly contact if there is an issue. No issue contacting paypal. I don't want to talk to an automated type in reply. A human would be better but that would cost them. Paypal yes you have to verify , this is their core business, money. I also find that with the new system as a very small seller the fees which I will pay will help fund large sellers that utilize afterpay. All sellers, retailers are the ones that pay for after pay. The buyer only pays what the item is worth, costs are incurred by the retailer..I will be subsidising the the larger sellers albiet marginally but subsidising non the less. We already pay commission on post , I cant see me getting refunds for fuel , time and the times that I Have underquoted and yes I refund if I have over quoted postage.  Too me all glossy but its no different to paying a bill that you have to pay,  you pay by credit card and you get a fee. A fee ( bill )  for paying your bills and while your their paying part of your neighbours bills too. Look I love ebay in its basic form, I have spent tens of thousands here and sold thousands. But for my fees what do I get I can't even talk to a human when there is an issue trivial or great.  Yes this is e commerce, but there still has to be the ability to connect and have human to human intervention for resolution  regardless of the topic . A human that can look outside the box use commonsense,make sensible judgements and navigate issues.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

You lost me at Afterpay.

eBay sellers don't accept Afterpay, eBay does.

As for the rest TL;DR.

Try some paragraphing and facts.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

@love_of_cars wrote:
That sounds okay except that it sounds like your bank statement is going to become messier with withdrawals at time of each sale, rather than one big withdrawal for a monthly invoice like before. Is that right?

Sale fees are automatically deducted from a buyer's payment, much like PayPal's fees were. 

eBay's wording is not 100% clear to me with regards to how (or, more specifically when) they'll debit for other fees, though. They do say "In late March, eBay will begin the process of phasing out completely the billing of selling fees and expenses via your payment instrument on file. Instead, eBay will collect fees and other expenses, such as those resulting from refunds, claims or disputes directly from your earnings. If your funds are not sufficient to cover these amounts, we will charge your payment method on file (debit or credit card, and/or linked bank account)."

That does sound like fees are automatically charged / debited either from funds or the card on file as soon as they are generated, but I can't see that as being a particularly efficient way to do it (not that ebay is an exemplar of efficiency, lol), but either way if that's how they are proposing it will work, I can see a lot of declined debit requests in eBay's future. 

If instead they follow Etsy's model, which still has a monthly billing cycle, if you accrue more fees than you generate in sales (through advertising and listing fees etc), then your account goes in the red and the outstanding fees will be deducted from buyer's payments until you go back into credit - this happens as soon as new funds are received. If instead you still owe fees at the end of the billing cycle, they'll then bill for the outstanding amount. (eg Say you don't get a sale for a week, and accrue listing fees of $10, they won't charge or debit you, your account will be in $10 debit, but then you make a $50 sale, so all the appropriate sale fees plus the oustanding $10 is debited from that $50). 

They don't have a direct debit agreement in place though - not like eBay's, anyway. If I refund a buyer and there's not enough in my Etsy payments account, my bank is automatically debited (same as what happens with ebay now), but if I owe fees at the end of the billing cycle, they have to be paid manually, they can't debit me for that for whatever reason (it's optional in the US, AFAIK, so might just be something do do with international banking...stuff). 

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

http _smileys.on-my-web.com_repository_Sleepy_asleep-045.gif

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I fully agree with you.  I am a small seller but now I wont sell through Ebay at all. Regards, Joan

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply