Ebay promoting racial discrimination against sellers

comcol
Community Member

After 5 months of having selling activity restricted Ebay could provide no reason for this other than to display racist attitudes and make racial comments.

Ebay gave numerous reasons for the restriction of which all were false. After contacting their lawyers in Sydney they stated they would re-instate the selling privileges if I once again provided them with ID which was done. 

Surprise surprise they didn't and now come back with more false and slanderous responses:

"This due to a change in selling activity (ASP, item type, spike in sales) An increase in overdue shipments, cases or negative FB, the nature of your inventory, or simply as part of a routine check on our sellers."

Literally none of that is true. They even upgraded me to top rated seller despite not being able to sell..lol. Perfect feedback. Zero returns, zero overdue shipments, 

In these 5 months Ebay has been unable to provide a single factual reason to refuse my business other than make comments about not being 'Asian enough' to sell computers and that 'whites should sell something else '.

They claim they do not have to abide by our laws on service. Sorry but they do when it comes to racist responses like this.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

edited. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@comcol,

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing selling restrictions. I don't wish that on anyone trying to make a living in these perilous times. From reading through much of your posts, it apparently began with your insisting on being refunded after a buyer was refunded - and as far as I can make out, it was not a situation where you ought to have been forced to refund the buyer.

There's no doubt that being in a situation of that sort, even though you ended up being refunded by eBay, would make many people uncertain, frustrated, worried and probably annoyed.

I don't think that you helped your case by posting angry comments about "Rip off eBay I say" as a form of retaliation. I understand why you might have felt angry enough to post that sort of thing; it's possible, though, that you have ended up being marked as someone who persistently posts against the Community Rules of Engagement. (You'll admit that eBay have the right to have such rules on boards which they provide...?) In particular, I think you may have fallen foul of rules 4, 10, 16 and 17. I suspect that eBay would not look happily upon breaches of rule 16 especially.

I cannot (and don't) blame you for taking the necessary action to receive the refund... but perhaps you managed to royally peeve eBay employees by the manner of communication...? (But I don't know the details of your interaction with eBay, and whether you truly felt there was no recourse other than to go in hard and blunt.)

However...

... you are claiming that eBay customer service representatives specifically said you are not โAsian enoughโž to sell computers, and also said โwhites should sell something elseโž.

Frankly, this is so unlikely that I dismiss it in its entirety. I note that you have previously posted in quite a state with a supposition on your part that you're classed as a risk because you are not Asian. (See the rubricated text below.)

@comcol(21-01-2020) wrote:

[...]

Despite being rated a top seller for 16 years, having zero negatives etc etc they decide to ban you from selling with LITERALLY no reason and only sending a computer-generated, and I quote:  "your behavior posed a risk to the eBay community" and "We have taken this action out of concern for the safety and integrity of the eBay Community"

Exactly what risk would that be??? Maybe because I am not one of their protected Asian sellers? [...]

Clearly an individual within Ebay is targetting my account when there is a deliberate and systematic assault on my business.

(Rubrication and azuring mine.)

I think that you've talked yourself into believing that something about being Asian was explicitly said, rather than its being purely an angry supposition on your part when you were trying to explain why you might have been classed as a risk by eBay. This is not unusual human behaviour; the malleability of memory is not surprising to those working in the field of neuroscience. Read How Our Brains Make Memories by Greg Miller for one particular discussion of this.

A second example of how you may have begun this sort of process is also shown in the above quotation (in the azured sentence). You make an assertion that is not proven and which is apparently nothing but an assumption, but the way in which you write demonstrates a dainty leap from assumption to established position (emphasised by using the word "clearly").

Eight days later, you've further convinced yourself that the assumption is fact:

@comcol(29-01-2020) wrote:

[...]

It's very clear with me that a specific individual within Ebay is behind the attack. That is part of the evidence I have.

[...]

However, you've also mentioned that you record calls and take screenshots where necessary. I always recommend that people take notes and record important phone conversations with eBay. I don't know where you can go from here armed with that information, because I know you spoke earlier about contacting the ACCC. (I wouldn't have thought this was a matter for the ACCC, though.)

Is it possible that the angriest of your posts, and perhaps your phone communications with eBay, have led eBay to consider you inimical to eBay (and therefore a risk)?

I don't really know what to suggest... eBay's T&Cs explicitly point out that eBay can close down accounts at their discretion.

Possibly the most applicable part of the User Agreement is this following section, and I'm afraid it's probably going to be a stumbling block for you.

โWithout limiting other remedies, we may limit, suspend or terminate our service and user accounts, prohibit access to the eBay services, delay or remove hosted content, remove, delete, modify or not display listings, apply fees and/or recover our expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement, and/or take technical and legal steps to keep users off the sites if we think that they are creating problems or possible legal liabilities, infringing the intellectual property rights of third parties or acting inconsistently with the letter or spirit of our policies (for example, and without limitation, policies related to shill bidding, conducting off-eBay transactions, Feedback manipulation, circumventing temporary or permanent suspensions or users who we believe are harassing our employees or other users).โž

(Rubrication mine.)

The link there goes to eBay's Member-to-member contact policy. While that policy does not specifically address communication with eBay employees, the UA clearly considers that it's relevant.

If the way in which you've been communicating with eBay employees can be considered violent, harassing, etc., you've probably been shooting yourself in the foot.

I suppose you could try re-opening communications with apologies, and proceeding with the utmost courtesy - but you may feel that don't want to do that and shouldn't have to do that. I can only leave it with you...

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

You are very brave Countess.....I have been giving this thread a wide berth as so much of it sounds too fanciful to be real.  The racism does not fly at all.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply