Ebay protects buyers more then sellers

Sold an iPad, tested it and worked perfectly. Buyer then messages ebay that it's not working and now I am forced to accept the return minus postage. What happens if I receive it and it isn't 'broken'. It is always possible that something happened during transit but I know for a fact that it wasn't broken when I sent it. I don't mind accepting something if there is an actual issue but if it is working, then I ended up wasting my time and money because I have to pay for the return postage. 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Some buyers carry out a bait and switch with the intention to send back a non-working model.

Did you make a note of the serial number to match it against the return?

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Serial number is the 2nd photo in the listing

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@sync_master44 wrote:

Sold an iPad, tested it and worked perfectly. Buyer then messages ebay that it's not working and now I am forced to accept the return minus postage. What happens if I receive it and it isn't 'broken'. It is always possible that something happened during transit but I know for a fact that it wasn't broken when I sent it. I don't mind accepting something if there is an actual issue but if it is working, then I ended up wasting my time and money because I have to pay for the return postage. 

My guess is you will probably just have to suck it up, as they say. If you receive it and it is working, then you will be out the cost of postage both ways plus your time and effort but at least you'll have your ipad back.

In fact, consider it a bonus if the thing is actually fault free and has not been misused. If it is broken, make sure to double check it really is your item and serial numbers match as if they don't, you can contact ebay.

I don't think this is one you can win, if it is your original ipad that comes back. The buyer is claiming it isn't working properly, you might claim it is, but ebay can't see or test the ipad for themselves so they are going to have to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt. It's not always going to work out fairly so unfortunately you probably need to be prepared to incur a loss with some sales.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Did the buyer say what the actual issue is? Ie what it is that isnโ€™t working correctly? It may just be because itโ€™s an older model, they canโ€™t get current apps.  I had the same issue. That is not a fault, it just means itโ€™s an older model and some later version apps wonโ€™t work as was the case with mine.  The buyer wanted to use current school apps but my iPad 4 wouldnโ€™t allow these apps.  I would check with the buyer what the actual issue is.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply