Ebay refunded a delivered item

eBay decided to refund a buyer even though the item was still under investigation by the courier. eBay decided the item was lost and therefore they refunded the buyer. However the item turned up a week later and so the buyer got a full refund and they kept the item. eBay told me to contact the buyer and ask them to return the money. The buyer has advised they have lost their job and are under financial distress. eBay has now advised to continue to work with the buyer and they won't be providing any refund as the case was closed.

This is now going to be filed with the ACCC, the individual @ebay who decided to refund an item that was still being delivered and under investigation is at fault.

Sellers on this platform have to absorb any costs due to failure on the part of couriers. Sellers have to absorb the costs of buyer who change their minds about an item and want their money back. Fine if that's a brand new item and the seller is a multinational company but most sellers on this platform are not so they have to absorb the costs of return shipping.

This platform has so many problems and the sellers are the ones who have to pay the price.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Ebay refunded a delivered item

AFCA is the best option, free and less hassle take adyen to AFCA and provide as much information as possible. You've got to keep pushing them, then a high up eBay rep will reach out to you ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Threatening to go to ACCC is pointless. It's one of the biggest threats that I've seen in my relatively short time on these forums. They will roll their eyes and do nothing. Best thing is do as the previous few members have suggested and send a letter of demand, plus lodge a dispute with AFCA if the letter fails. 

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

AFCA is the best option, free and less hassle take adyen to AFCA and provide as much information as possible.

good advice

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

This is such a big flaw for sellers in regards to disputes.  Item in transit, buyer opens INR dispute, gets refund then item is delivered. Now since ebay are the ones who refunded the buyer, it should be ebay reimbursing the seller.  This is just plain wrong.  Too easy for ebay to wash their hands of it.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

That's right they told me that the insurance from the courier would recover my costs before the item was delivered, now there is no way to recover the value of the item. eBay did wash their hands of it even though they are at fault the seller has to wear the costs, failed system, failed platform

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Yep, and what eBay forget to mention, whilst you can claim insurance from the courier if the item is lost or damaged, there is also the excess the seller has to pay, but since the item was delivered Iโ€™m guessing the courier wonโ€™t cover it.  

I used Fastway to send a water ski from Vic to NSW once, no idea what the driver did, probably tossed it around and threw other parcels on top of it but the ski arrived broken (despite being extremely well wrapped with multiple layers of bubble wrap and โ€œfragileโ€ stickers all over it, and when I went to claim insurance they wanted $150. The cost of the ski was $150 so I basically was left with nothing.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

I would go back to eBay and say the courier will not cover the insurance as the item has been delivered, the buyer will not pay and that as eBay were the ones who refunded whilst the item was still in transit they should reimburse you.  See how you go.  I would request a call back rather than using the chat.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

I told you already File a complaint to AFCA .

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Ok Boss

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply