Ebay refunded buyer saying item not delivered, when delivered in person?

Hi All, I'm a long term ebay buyer and seller. Today I was told by ebay that they have reviewed a buyer dispute case in favor of the buyer, even though we delivered the items in person to the buyer. As theres no tracking etc, its just my word against the buyer. The buyer has "0" feedback, new to ebay I guess and I've been loyal to ebay for almost 15 years.

I have sms messages proving the item was delivered, this was given to ebay as proof. But still theyre awarding the buyer full refund and no return of the items? Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is this a loop hole in ebays conditions that scammers know?

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The buyer should have had some type of QR code, or something like that, for you to scan to prove pick up delivery. As you know where the buyer lives, I'd be heading back over there and requesting the item be given back to you. Otherwise you'll be forced to report them for theft as they now have the item and the money. Maybe a threat of a police report will either see them give you the money back, or the item. It's certainly worth a try.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Buyers know that without tracking there is no proof of delivery

When it is a buyer's word against a seller, eBay will almost always find in favour of the buyer

With no tracking, always the buyer, every time

eBay do not care how long a seller has been a member

eBay will not accept sms messages as proof , they will say anyone could have replied with item delivered etc

How did the 'buyer' pay for the pick up item?

Not really a loop hole, no proof of delivery by means of  tracking = instant refund if a dispute is opened 

eBay is ALL about buyers and will not accept/believe that buyers can be scammers or liars 

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

The buyer should have had some type of QR code, or something like that, for you to scan to prove pick up delivery. As you know where the buyer lives, I'd be heading back over there and requesting the item be given back to you. Otherwise you'll be forced to report them for theft as they now have the item and the money. Maybe a threat of a police report will either see them give you the money back, or the item. It's certainly worth a try.

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

Thanks Sandypebbles, Sadly that's what I thought. I have their phone number and address. I think i'll do like you suggested. They paid for the item through ebay.  They replied via text that they were thankful for the prompt delivery and I even replied back offering to help if they needed setup advice. I'll make sure I have everything delivered by courier and increase my fees to cover the costs of this happening again.  

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

I'll contact my local police, its a pity to burden them with something that ebay could of handled. I'll contact ebay again on the matter and remove my for sale items. I'll stick to just buying on ebay , not selling  ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

I'm guessing it's the TV? Go and get it back. Don't let them get away with it. They knew exactly what they were doing. As I said in my earlier post, threaten a police report for theft as they are now thieves by having both the money and the item. If it comes to it, go to the police and get a case number and present them with it. Point out that it's really not worth a criminal record over a TV. They are now in possession of a stolen item.

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

Hi Bruggsy.

Any form of shipping with tracking....As long as it shows 1 valid tracking event (lodgement)  then you are covered by ebay.   EDIT  you also have to ship in your handling time.

As for pick up/ personal delivery  you would have to check out and use the ebay code method, which now applies to such delivery methods.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Ebay always says that communication has to take place on eBay via eBay messages. Ebay messages would have been a proof, but SMSs are not, unfortunately. Maybe if the phone number they come from is the phone they registered with eBay you could try and talk to a supervisor, but officially SMSs are no proof.

Yes, do what *sons suggested, as this buyer should not get away with it.

I once also had an item delivered by the seller and the seller didn't ask me for a code or anything, but I was extremely thankful. Such a lovely seller.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Hi Gutterpunkz05, How do I use the pickup / personal delivery method? Is this something new? My listing had a $20 delivery fee which they ticked. Normally I would post the item out, but they liver 10 minutes away and they requested the item be delivered asap. 

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

The problem was that you chose to deliver the item and therefore had no tracking. You were always going to lose any dispute they opened.

If it was a large item like a TV, you could have selected the shipping method as "Pickup only". Then the buyer would have received a code in their email for you to scan in:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181&st...

Even if you delivered it, you still would have to get the code from the buyer as this is the way to confirm everything.

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply