Ebay refunds system NOT FAIR for sellers....

Recently we sold an item on here to a customers on here for $130.00 POST FREE via overnight shipping. Anyhow 2 and a bit weeks later we recieve a 'return request' via Ebay from the buyer who claimed the item he purchased 'didn't work' and they weren't upto his standards even though we've sold this particular item to 100's of fellow aussies.

So after assuming perhaps it was a defunct product we agreed to accept the return including the freight via an Ebay return label we finally got the item back this morning and guess what? 

The items were used, had grease all down the tooling, all the wrappers were off. Clearly had been used and played around with. 

I just contacted Ebay and inquired about what we do here and guess what they tell me? There's no proof that the product you sent them in the first place wasn't damaged.. I said you have got to be kidding me. Feedack rating of 99.9% with over 14,500 feedback and that is the response I get. 

She then proceeded me to work it out with the buyer, in which I replied we had left messages with no response other then the responses left via the ebay returns procedure. I then asked her finally so once we refund him his $130.00 for our $25.00 for our returned unsellable product does he have the right to leave us a negative feeback as I don't want to be back on the phone again today... she said yes they can but you can call us and make a dispute for it but we can't guarentee it will be removed...

SELLERS BEWARE we just bit the bullet and refunded the buyer because we don't wanna deal withe hassles but I can only image when the buyer has all the power and Ebay sets these new procedures then things like this will occur more often. 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

So what do ebay do to help sellers at all?

I would be calling back and and tell them to read the message from the buyer where he claims" 'didn't work' and they weren't upto his standards"

Without opening it and trying it how would he know it  was not up to his standard (which does NOT make it not as described) and if it was not returned in the condition it was sent then ebay say they should not be refunded.

We are told as buyers to return the item in the condition it was sent.

Call them back and demand to speak to a supervisor.

Fight it as this is the only way sellers will ever get their point across to ebay that buyers are ripping sellers off.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Use their rules against them. EBay states that the item must be returned in the same condition it was shipped in. I'd say yours qualifies as not in the same condition?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

we spoke to them for nearly 1hr requested Superviser but stated they would not able to help it is between the seller and the buyer

but as we all know ebay has the big stick and it seems to be getting bigger.

ebay help desk is manned by unpaid off shore people who who are all scripped to say what ever ebay say

THERE UNFORNIITLY A FRAUDELENT ORGINISATION  WHO GET AWAY WITH MURDER !

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

To be fair 3415len, you should know that by selling hand tools the buyer would need to unwrap and use at least once to tell if item was faulty or not.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Here is my take on it,

1. The buyer looks at your advert and buys something clean,

2. Buyer used it and claims it didn't work

3. Returns item all greased up

4. Item is not returned in its original condition.

What is ebay smoking?

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Well I certainly wouldn't be refunding the buyer and would be wearing the almost certain negative feedback with pride. What he's done is a very old trick where they need an expensive tool for a one-off job, so they buy it, use it for that one purpose, then return it claiming that it doesn't work, or whatever. If it was truly faulty, it wouldn't have taken almost 3 weeks to discover so, and neither would it have been returned in an obviously used and greasy condition.

What did eBay say? Did they demand that you refund the buyer, or did they reject the buyer's claim and leave it up to you? If the latter, he can't open any further disputes with eBay or Paypal so if you've not yet refunded him, I'd simply forget it and cop the unfair neg. It probably won't be the last time somebody tries it on so you need to make a stand now before you lose too much money to these thieving, lying mongrels, and if he does neg you, make sure you reply to the neg with an explanation and also identify him by his user ID as well.
Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

The trouble is the poor old seller can't prove what condition he sent the item in. Smiley Sad

I sent a fuel pump to a buyer, it allegedly arrived broken so the buyer told EBAY that i sent a broken item to him, so i had to copped the financial loss plus a defect.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Im going through being scammed now. The buyer said in ebay messages to me that the phone worked well when received. Later he said it stopped working. He admitted opening it up (which required a special tool to do this) obviously he has done this before. 1 week later ebay says they want me to refund in full including postage he paid. ...AND they want the seller TO KEEP IT!! Ebay has gone to the dogs. As soon as this is over Im closing my account. Ebay is a joke now.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Ebay will refund as soon as the tracking number is scanned off by the postman/woman. They dont care if the pack is empty.
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply