Ebay sellers prices through the roof

Since the managed payents I've noticed steady increases in prices. But it's no wonder since cheap items attract much higher fees, what a terrible system. Cable tie you would buy for $1 year ego now cost $5, it's hilarious and sad at the same time. Sellers want to survive so have to rise prices but off course no one is buying at these prices. Used items gone completely crazy. My self I've just risen prices by 30%, I don't expect to sell anything but at least I won't be feeding Ebay instead of me. I just don't see any future in Ebay anymore. Personally when I need something, I and most of my friends now go to Amazon with sure bet that the same items will cost me 20-30% less. I used to love Ebay but that's gone now. How do you guys see this sad situation?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I did not know that  "cheap items attract much higher fees".

Plenty of low cost cable ties when I search.

Where are you seeing a cable tie for $5?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I don't buy much on this site as I prefer to buy from stores themselves, so I haven't noticed, but it depends on which category you're looking at.

Part of the problem is that due to the current supply chain issues, many prices have gone up due to low stock.

My fabrics are all more expensive to purchase now than ever before. When I started this shop, I could get fabrics for about $15pm, now the average is $25pm and up. Part of it is inflation, part of it is the pandemic.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

All you have to do is to lookup some discussions about this. You'll find people showing in $ how much they payed for item, how much they sold it for and how much profit they made compared to what they used to make for the same  item with Paypal system. Personally low priced things I used to buy for certain price have gone up so much that are no longer worth buying for me so I just go to the shop and get them there cheaper. Remember how Ebay was always cheaper than any shop because of no overheads, well no longer

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@retrowise wrote:

Since the managed payents I've noticed steady increases in prices. But it's no wonder since cheap items attract much higher fees, what a terrible system. Cable tie you would buy for $1 year ego now cost $5, it's hilarious and sad at the same time. Sellers want to survive so have to rise prices but off course no one is buying at these prices. Used items gone completely crazy. My self I've just risen prices by 30%, I don't expect to sell anything but at least I won't be feeding Ebay instead of me. I just don't see any future in Ebay anymore. Personally when I need something, I and most of my friends now go to Amazon with sure bet that the same items will cost me 20-30% less. I used to love Ebay but that's gone now. How do you guys see this sad situation?

Not sure why your prices have gone up 30%,  the fee's are the same for Managed Payments as they were for Ebay/Paypal.

Sounds like you are trying to rip of the market and blame Managed Payments for it.   Please use facts

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

J have never seen a discussion like that... can you provide a link?

How much a seller paid to aquire the item & their selling price has nothing to do with the fees.

They are essentially the same as Previous fees when using PayPal.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

"Not sure why your prices have gone up 30%,  the fee's are the same for Managed Payments as they were for Ebay/Paypal."

Raised the prices to be on board with other sellers selling similar items. They rise, I rise because fees are too high now

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@retrowise wrote:

"Not sure why your prices have gone up 30%,  the fee's are the same for Managed Payments as they were for Ebay/Paypal."

Raised the prices to be on board with other sellers selling similar items. They rise, I rise because fees are too high now

Fee's are no different to before,  so what you are saying is its other sellers to blame for you putting your prices up.  A good business person wouldnt put them up and beat the opposition.  But I guess that tells us something

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@retrowise wrote:

That makes no sense!

To be competitive, let them raise their prices and the buyers will buy from you.

And the higher you make the price, the higher the fees will be.

Not much good at business maths are you?

You're actually paying around the same fees on Managed Payments as you were before. 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

So why did you bite the bullet and sign up to MP?

You seem to have issues with eBay on many levels. Your statement that sellers disclose their buying and selling prices, if true (doubtful), has nothing to do with fees. As almost every other member who can add up has said the fees are essentially the same as before.

I can only assume you are attempting to surreptitiously advertise. Doesn't work. We can't go to your feedback or listings without an effort that most wouldn't find productive.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply