Ebay severly under quoting delivery times then punishing me

I received a defect for item not delivered on time, it was sent within the timeframe indicated and is completely our of my hands how long Aus post takes to send something but beyond that ebay are underestimating the timeframes which contradict Aus post estimates. for example if I bought something today and the seller sent tomorrow via Aus post standard mail ebay suggests it will arrive to NT 0871 between Dec 10 - 16 however when I estimate this through Aus post website they claim it will arrive between 16Dec - 21 Dec.

**bleep** ebay its one thing to lie to our customers but then punish us if they arent happy with the supposed late delivery even though its not late is ridiculous. Can ebay get anything right or do they deliberately just screw everything up.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Because eBay are under estimating delivery times the only thing you can do is to increase your handling times to give you a bit more breathing room. I'm at 3 days handling time at the moment but come January I'll probably push that out to 5 days. I post every day still it just gives me some time and hopefully avoid the defects. 

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I post within 1 day but I have also increased my handling time to 3 days to give me "padding".

Also I have taken out the option of overseas selling for this time of the year and I'm running with Australian buyers only until the first week of Jan. Too many delays going out to the US and UK during December.

I believe that in February the criteria are changing and that as long as you add a tracking number which shows lodgement, you won't get defects on the time it arrives.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

This is true.... But only if you use Aust Post tracking.

They are the only carrier they can automatically link into at the moment. Others may come later on.

If you use others you will have to contest the defect by manually showing them that tracking shows lodged inside your handling time and/or delivered inside their EDD (Estimated Delivery Date).

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

My handling time is currently 5 days, even though I still post same or next business day. I will be upping that to 10 days over the Christmas New Year period to try and allow for the public holidays.......because eBay won't allow for them.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Dumb thing it is pushing sellers back into AP outlets and queing up, which slows down actual shipping as few are going to go to post office everyday, let alone getting it in last 6pm post. It also goes against what AP are trying to achieve in the way of reducing need to visit AP.

Who benefits from this? Not the sellers, not the buyers, not AP,not even Ebay.

Sellers are using a next best protection by over estimating delivery. Hardly great marketing for Ebay.

In fact to punish sellers and claim late shipment is practically defaming as there is no evidence to say this. The only evidence is late delivery, and that is not even against any claims made by sellers.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

For sellers who offer Australia Post services the ebay delivery times are provided by Australia Post.

There is a direct link between ebay and Australia Post with Australia Post feeding the estimated delivery times to ebay.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Totally agree. I did the right thing by a seller I purchased a text book from. The postage was double what I was charged ie it cost her $10.50 and she only charged me $5.00. The estimated eBay delivery was Friday, I received it the following Monday. When it came to leaving feedback and the question "did this arrive before xxxx" popped up, I just ticked Yes. It's hardly the seller's fault if a parcel is not delivered on time by AP!

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I did the same thing last week when an item arrived a few days past the estimate. I ticked yes because I didn't want to hurt the seller when they sent the exact item I bought, it was packed well and it was posted the same day I paid. Why should I then punish her when the delivery was slow? It wasn't her fault.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

@jensmanchester-australia wrote:

For sellers who offer Australia Post services the ebay delivery times are provided by Australia Post.

There is a direct link between ebay and Australia Post with Australia Post feeding the estimated delivery times to ebay.

Except that AP have quoted 2-7 BUSINESS days for standard postage for a couple of years and eBay still quote 1-6. And don't seem to realise that Saturday and Sunday are not generally considered to be business days.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply