Endangered plants prohibited on Ebay

tiamait
Community Member

Wow how ignorant are the powers that be here!!!! Endangered plant species are banned for sale in their native country so that people don't raid the places they are endemic to and therefore increasing their vulnerability. It diminishes a market therefore stops illegal poaching. When you sell a common garden plant ie. gerbera which has been propagated  in Australia for over 50 years within this country how are you increasing it's endangerment in Africa? How can you Ebay restrict it's sale in Australia (I'm not talking importing) there is no logic in doing so, nor legal standing as far as I can find. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Endangered plants prohibited on Ebay

If Fair Trade won't touch it, there's a fair chance it's not illegal.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Hi there, the problem may be with your listings, which appear not only on ebay au, meaning you are offering items for international sale, irrespective if you have specified international post or not.

For instance   your listing 

Australian Natives Yellow Grevillea seedling plants

Also appears on  ebay.com  etc,  and as such would be subject to  CITES  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjou-uJxpb6A...

As far as I am aware, CITES does not apply to domestic sales, so you have to contact ebay CS via live chat, sign on to speak to an agent, if you get stuck with the bots, simply type, talk to live agent.  you will need to ensure that any listing in breach of CITES, are restricted to ebay.com.au  only.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

I do offer all other items overseas. None of my plant or seed sales are international and shouldn't be seen, that's a pain actually, but thank you. I don't understand how something with no international post can appear internationally. I have marked buyers can't see if the postage is not offered also.   Another Ebay **** up as far as I'm concerned!!!!!!

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Operator error.

You need to explicitly list the areas you don't post to. You can do it by region.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Sorry I've been here for 17 yrs I explicitly  know how this thing works they have *** me up not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I have read on the boards before now that what Dave has said regarding the regions/countries that you don't send to, must be applied to those listings exclusions..

For example your chili seeds, I could buy those from you even though you say in the listing you only post to QLD, Vic and NSW.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Try beating the word bots…..

List them as Transvaal Daisy. 😉

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Then why mark my post as a solution? Unless you have belatedly realised that the issue is yours?

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply