Endangered plants prohibited on Ebay

tiamait
Community Member

Wow how ignorant are the powers that be here!!!! Endangered plant species are banned for sale in their native country so that people don't raid the places they are endemic to and therefore increasing their vulnerability. It diminishes a market therefore stops illegal poaching. When you sell a common garden plant ie. gerbera which has been propagated  in Australia for over 50 years within this country how are you increasing it's endangerment in Africa? How can you Ebay restrict it's sale in Australia (I'm not talking importing) there is no logic in doing so, nor legal standing as far as I can find. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there, the problem may be with your listings, which appear not only on ebay au, meaning you are offering items for international sale, irrespective if you have specified international post or not.

For instance   your listing 

Australian Natives Yellow Grevillea seedling plants

Also appears on  ebay.com  etc,  and as such would be subject to  CITES  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjou-uJxpb6A...

As far as I am aware, CITES does not apply to domestic sales, so you have to contact ebay CS via live chat, sign on to speak to an agent, if you get stuck with the bots, simply type, talk to live agent.  you will need to ensure that any listing in breach of CITES, are restricted to ebay.com.au  only.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

eBay is not here... only members.

It's eBay's site so I guess they can restrict whatever they want.

The logic would be in the User Agreement that you read & agreed to.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

It's Ebay's site ... they wouldn't have one if  they weren't ripping off blind the likes of me and since I pay very good money to put up with this nonsense I should have a say when they are acting outside the scope which they are!!

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Plants and seeds policy | eBay

??   I'm not understanding the OP's point.

There are Gerberas for sale on ebay.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

I'm not here for help I've read all that **bleep** before I listed they are not endangered to Australia therefore it shouldn't be classed as such on Ebay to trade in Australia we are not in Africa that's where it's endangered.

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

Still not understanding.

Do you have another ID where you tried to list gerberas and couldn't?

Because, as said, there are gerberas for sale on ebay.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

That's why I'm so furious I had two listed and yet there are 1500 listings and a couple of shops only list them. I listed them fine and sold some of my last batch then suddenly Ebay took my two listings  down saying they are an endangered species and I am not to list them. 

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Easy peasy - don't list them.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

You need to contact eBay then.

The boards only include other members and eBay neither read nor respond to posts on them.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Thanks Dave have you ever done that? I have many times about this as well, there's nothing you can say but NEXT! I have often wondered why  they get my money when I can't even speak to a person. Chat is mostly automated and the so called people with Eastern Asian names can not and will not help you which is why I think Ebay have them. I think it's about time someone took them on legally don't get me started it goes against fair trade but apparently they don't act  any more.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply