Experience with shipping to Italy?

Has anyone had recent experience with shipping to Italy?

I've googled, and it seems the Italian postal service is quite unreliable, but everything I've read was from a few years ago. Have things improved?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I've shipped a few things to Italy, but not a huge amount (I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it would be less than 50, and only in the last couple of years so I can't compare to how things were longer ago than that).

I've had a few problems with items not arriving, or taking longer than normal - slightly above average (except in comparison to Canada) but not quite enough to eliminate it as a shipping destination (a lot of my orders are low value, though, so the risk is lower). I wouldn't send anything above about $40~odd untracked, so quote for tracked postage on items above that (which effectively all but eliminates it I suppose, as even with a 10% discount the cost is over $25 for a <500g parcel, and not many are prepared to pay that), while I keep letter rates available for items under that amount. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

The tracked ones seem to take 3 weeks or so. Letters around 4-5 weeks, but both can be a little faster if customs is in a good mood.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've shipped a few things to Italy, but not a huge amount (I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it would be less than 50, and only in the last couple of years so I can't compare to how things were longer ago than that).

I've had a few problems with items not arriving, or taking longer than normal - slightly above average (except in comparison to Canada) but not quite enough to eliminate it as a shipping destination (a lot of my orders are low value, though, so the risk is lower). I wouldn't send anything above about $40~odd untracked, so quote for tracked postage on items above that (which effectively all but eliminates it I suppose, as even with a 10% discount the cost is over $25 for a <500g parcel, and not many are prepared to pay that), while I keep letter rates available for items under that amount. 

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Do you know approximately how long it takes to get there?

My item is only $20, and I've quoted for tracked airmail. I can't afford to send it again if it goes missing hence the tracking.
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I have blocked Italy, myself and others involved in the IBNS have had regular items stolen within the postal service in Italy.

It is one of the countries regularly talked about within collectors fraternities for missing items.

Sorry I can't provide better news.

image host
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

The tracked ones seem to take 3 weeks or so. Letters around 4-5 weeks, but both can be a little faster if customs is in a good mood.
Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Kopenhagen, that's what I'm worried about. I can't afford to replace it if it goes missing especially with the postage cost.

Were you using tracking?
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I avoid countries like Italy completely as well as many other European destinations due to their poor reputation for items going "missing"

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

What country do you avoid?
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

I make the ocassional exception for NZ.

Otherwise I block everywhere except Australia.

But I sell used books. Not exactly hard to find in their own countries.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Italy, Spain, Turkey, India and Sth American countries have bad reputations.

Tracked or signed for post is far more reliable but very expensive to Italy.

It may have improved in the last 12 months as most I know have simply banned Italy.

image host
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply