Experienced buyer wins item after bidding war with newbie but now wants cheaper price.

I had an auction item finish last night where an experienced buyer (1250+ feedback) got into a bidding war with a newbie (25 feedback) and won the item.

The experienced buyer placed 11 seperate bid - including a last second bid before it ended when she was already the highest bidder. 

This morning I received a message from her saying that she is " a bit worried " she paid too much (she hasnt paid at all yet) as " $80 is a lot of money and would you please consider dropping the price"

She states that she " would be happy paying $50- $60"

There is no way I am having any piece of that! 

How do I get out of this without a defect please?????

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Experienced buyer wins item after bidding war with newbie but now wants cheaper price.

@Anonymous wrote:

@dresscode2479 wrote:

Taking onboard everyone's suggestions, I replied, very politely, that not only would it be unfair to the other bidder to accept a lower price but I would also find it unethical and not in the sprit of an auction to do so.

I added that if she no longer wnted to complete the transaction, I would be happy to offer it to the second highest bidder.

Her reply:-

"Well could you at least remove the postage charge"

I am consuming copious amount of good chocolate right now before responding Smiley Happy

fairly obvious what you need to do here.... stick to your guns. she can either pay up in full or cancel

Her true colours are coming through now

Totally agree sjr. The Bidder is a player. She knows how to play the system. 

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

Re: Experienced buyer wins item after bidding war with newbie but now wants cheaper price.

A rude and unfair buyer.

Politely say no to the free postage too. Carry through with unpaid item case if it isn't all paid.

She knew the prices when she bid and she has been around long enough to know how ebay works.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@springyzone wrote:

A rude and unfair buyer.

Politely say no to the free postage too. Carry through with unpaid item case if it isn't all paid.

She knew the prices when she bid and she has been around long enough to know how ebay works.

Thats the point. Has been around long enough to know how ebay works.. and learn the tricks and games you can pay to put pressure on sellers to get things cheap/free

They bank on sellers to crumble under the pressure of negs and defects and im sure there are plenty out there that will crumble

Stick to your guns

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

If what she won it for was considerably more than I expected I would probably have re invoiced without any postage chrge but definitely not if the buyer was as brazen as yours.

I also would not offer a cancellation, definitely an unpaid item dispute and if they paid and left a neg so be it, I would never let the prospect of feedback or defects influence what I consider the correct way to act.

A not as describedshould also be a no go oce their communicaton is passed on to ebay and if it was found in the buyer's favour I would be taking it as far as I could.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

Why have the angst.  Ask if she wants to cancel.  Give the other bidder a second chance offer.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

Once you offer a cancellation there is no going back and the buyer can actually drag it out as long if not longer than an unpaid item dispute takes. They also have the ability to refuse the cancellation in which case your fees are not refunded and agree or refuse they are still able to leave non positive feedback so no I would not offer a cancellation and send a SCO until an unpaid item dispute was ended by either payment or the giving of a strike.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Thank-you everyone for fantastic input ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, I often give free postage or pop an extra item in if items end up selling for more than expected or more than I thought they were really worth.
Two of my buyers have mentioned postage refunds and extra items in recent feedback left for me, so I am wondering if the buyer saw this - ???
I have also looked at the winning bidders feedback and there are a couple of red dots left for sellers where she has commented that she paid a lot of money and seller wouldn't refund or that item was not worth the money spent ๐Ÿ˜ž

I did originally ask her if she would like me to see if the second highest bidder would still like to purchase the item however she did not respond to this. Thank you for the advice in regards to cancellations - I now know not to go down that pathway.

As a counter offer to her request for free postage, I have just messaged buyer and said I would be happy to cover the cost of postage if she internet transfered/deposited the purchase price into my bank account.

Oh why does it all have to be so diffcult!

I list - you bid - you win - you pay - I send.                  How difficult can it be?

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Its not difficult DC... Tell them this is how it is. Simple. Never give in to buyers like this. As a seller you need to have some wits about you.

I just had one buyer say they never got the good even when it was express, tracked and SOD. I had a copy of the signature which matched the name, I called their bluff and said I need a stat dec and the police will be involved. Never heard from them again.

Then just last month had a buyer wanting to return an electrical item as they "blew it up". Sure! I have 12 month warranty on all items, the buyer admitted to buying the same item six months ago from somewhere else and that also blew up. So the issue was being caused from something else. Not a faulty item, even the buyer admitted this but they still demanded a refund, saying I offer warranty against defects. I told them to send the item back and I will look at it, they did, and it was NOT the item I sent. Same part but different markings to the ones I keep, I took photos and showed the buyer, explained to them the situation, proved it to them and I posted it back to them and haven't heard since. They were just trying to get a free part to replace their already broken one.

I find it harder to deal with Aus Post losing parcels more than anything.

Cheers.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply