Express post is not Express post as we remember

Just been going back and forward with emails with Aussie post for 2 hours now and finally have an answer.

I posted an Express post item on Monday last week and the customer received it Friday ....4 days. It should have arrived Thursday at the latest.

Anyway, it appears now that only 80% of Australia is covered by the Express post network. If the item you are posting falls outside the network, it goes NO faster than regular mail.  What a rip off.  They take extra money from us for a service they do not provide to some areas AND they don't tell us about it. It explains why the postcode delivery areas are not shown on the back anymore. 

I used the calculator below and there was no difference in delivery time for Express or regular to this customer as their postcode is " Outside the network "

It means more work, but in future I will be checking my customers postcode 1st, before charging express post. I will also need to contact the customer and let them know if there postcode falls outside the " Network "

Anyone else had problems with this happening ?

How can I send my item urgently if the origin or destination fall outside the Express Post network?

You can still use Express Post for delivery to or from areas that fall outside the Express post network

While next day delivery is not guaranteed, your item will still be processed, handled and delivered as fast as possible.

Use our online postage calculator for an estimate of when your parcel might arrive.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Express post is not Express post as we remember

The satchels no longer have the delivery time zones... I suppose that means AP has done away with the compensation if not delivered within the time frame.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Compensation is still paid for late delivery. This was taken from the AP site only a few minutes ago.

2014-10-21 05-37-41.png

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@cq_tech wrote:
As your not in an express zone, surely you'd be far better off sending your item via registered mail. It costs less and you get the added advantage of tracking, insurance and signed delivery, and it would still take precisely the same amount of time to arrive.

Express satchels are sent by air interstate so generally they are quicker than regular parcels sent with signature on delivery even if the sender and recipient are outside the Express postcodes.

They are also cheaper than sending with SOD and do include tracking. A C&S 500g Express satchel is only $10.30 ($9.30 for Business 250) and 3kg $14.45 ($13.05).  And you can add Extra Cover to Express satchels, the same way you can with signature on delivery parcels.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

So they still travel by air even if the sender or recipient aren't in the express zone, do they? That'd certainly speed things up with items sent from say Brisbane to Perth then, so perhaps there's still an advantage even if both parties don't live in gazetted express zones after all. I'd also forgotten that all AP items other than small or large letters are now sent with tracking, as the last time I sent something via Express Post I'm sure that wasn't the case.
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks to all for your comments. Food for thought.

I send large letters . Not parcels. The average cost to post regular is $2.10 for stamps plus the envelope and packing supplies.

A registered post envelope costs $6.10 to post. It seems a bit much to add at least another $3.50 to my items. I don't think I would get many sales. 

My customers receive their items but not always in the time frame Ebay and Australia post have said they would....hence the problems I can get from time to time.

I opted for Express post on some larger orders, but they still do not arrive when they are supposed to.

Just sent some today, Express and emailed my customers and told them about the postage delays and if it doesn't arrive in time, to go to their local PO to find out why. Maybe someone at their end would have more of an idea what is happening.

I also gave them the Express post tracking number, as well as put it in the Ebay sales.

We can only do so much from our end.

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I just don't offer express post, makes life much easier.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

I thought of that, but it seems if you don't offer it, Ebay put your items lower in their searches.  Just can't win either way 

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

I offer the express post option an all my items even though I am outside the express post zone. For parcels to and from WA express post is still a far quicker service than regular post and it is generally quicker for any interstate deliveries as they go by air (as was mentioned previously).

I am surprised at how many buyers pay a few extra dollars and choose the express post option so it is quite popular. Usually my express post parcels take 2 - 3 days and only once in all my years of selling have I had a buyer question why it didn't arrive overnight.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

that guarantee applies to post office satchels but not eparcel unsure about click and send

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply