Fees too high

jesso123
Community Member
Fees are ridiculous!!! I'm done with with selling on eBay. Asked buyer to pay by eft to avoid paypal fees or to contact me if there was any issues. Instead they just paid with paypal without contacting me and I was charged $10. I thought ok it's not too bad. But then I logged into eBay and was slammed with a $50 bill. The sale was around 450. Absolutely crazy. I sold the item at cost price to be fair and I've lost $60. I understand a small fee of up to $5 but $50 is just a scam. I will never use eBay again to sell stuff
Message 1 of 74
Latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Fees too high

No it's not a scam. If you took the time to read the sale fee structure or even used the fee calculator here
http://www.fees.ebay.com.au/feeweb/feecalculator then you could have made the decision not to sell if it was too high. It's not ebays fault
Message 2 of 74
Latest reply

Yeah I know but I think the fees have gone up dramatically over the years. considering all the users they have you would think they would keep the fees down to make people happy. In saying that I know that they use that power to make heaps of money. Oh well I just won't sell on here anymore
Message 3 of 74
Latest reply

they have other sites where the fees are a lot cheaper but things may not sell so ebay is better

Message 4 of 74
Latest reply

Understand your pain, however you can't blame the buyer for not wanting to pay you directly into your bank account.

Why would someone deposit money into the account of someone they don't know (and as you said for an expensive item) and then sit back and hope it arrived.

No doubt you are a completely honest seller, but the buyer has the right to protect themselves against the one's less honest.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 74
Latest reply

Feebay is just taking advantage of australians who dont have any real alternatives, there are jurisdictions where ebay charges low / no fees at all due to competition. Here in Australia, theres complete absence of competition hence they can just price gouge the sellers.
I certainly try not to sell much on ebay these days, but even as a buyer, you can feel the fees as certain items with low margins are way more expensive on ebay than in shops
Message 6 of 74
Latest reply

Nothings changed in 18 months

Message 7 of 74
Latest reply

Do what we have done...

Create and launch your own website where there are no ebay fees. Just much smaller website fees.

We sell the same items at 15-20% lower on our website because the fees are so much lower.

Once website sales reach an acceptable level then we will close out of ebay altogether.

So far sales are progressing upwards nicely on the website. 

Give us 12-months and we should be outta here I reckon.

Message 8 of 74
Latest reply

eBay doesn't have a gun to your head and are forcing you to sell things here.  How much would you pay each year if you were to start your own business from scratch? tens of thousands?

Message 9 of 74
Latest reply

I was thinking the same as greencat. If I paid $450 for an item that was to be posted out, there is no way on earth I would be paying into the seller's bank accounts or anything else. I'd pay via paypal.

I know it is tough, but saving the seller money on fees is not the concern of the buyer, their concern is to cover themselves so they can get money back if things go wrong.

You basically need to work out likely fees before you sell and build them into the price so you don't lose out. I understand where you are coming from, the whole fee thing means, for me, it is no longer economical or worth the bother of selling small things as I did a few years ago. I think with bigger things though there is the opportunity to make a profit.

Message 10 of 74
Latest reply