Fees

Hi ... I have  been selling on ebay for a few years now ... just a few things now and then. After a long break from selling I started up  again about 2 months ago. Low price items ... mostly preloved womens clothing and homewares....   Recently it was brought to my attention that on top of my selling fees for the item I pay that fee on the postage as well. ....  then on top of that there are the paypal fees. I did the maths today and I found that I am actually paying more in fees than I actually receive for the item. A knee jerk reaction I'm sure but I have taken all my listings off . The question I would like to ask is ... how do we make money if we have these fees to contend with. Do we add extra onto our postage costs to cover it and if we do isn't that ripping off the buyer? I will appreciate any one that has any ideas or thoughts on the subject of fees .... thank you 🙂 kind regards Jenny

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Fees

Build the costs into the start or buy now price.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Fees

Welcome to the 'new and improved' ebay?

Where sellers are treated as pariahs or worse, and buyers are treated like royalty! Seriously - check out the new 'Buyer Protection Program'. It'll give you nightmares.

I, like many, no longer list on ebay, as the 'new and improved' rules and fees are exorbitant and morally reprehensible.

It becomes clearer and clearer that ebay DO NOT want small sellers, (you know...the ones who actually got ebay off the ground all those years ago), and devote all their attention and benefits to the bigger retailers, and asian volume sellers.

That's where the shareholders profits are deerived from - not the likes of you and me!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Fees

Although it has been suggested that you build the cost of those fees into your selling price and/or postage cost, as you will no doubt be able to work out, that will more than likely decrease your chances of actually making a sale.

Then you have to contend with all the new terms and conditions that ebay imposed in 1st November (such as the money back guarantee) that almost begs buyers to make a claim for items not as described or not received, and the seller has to bear the refund cost, and it all makes the whole exercise pointless.

I used to sell on ebay and did quite well, but since the fees on postage were added (In Sept?) and I realised that my profits took a significant downturn as my items often cost less than the postage, I just gave it all away.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Fees

The absolute lowest I will start a second hand clothing item at is $3.99 and that is usually something that has a fault and otten ends up selling for more than a brand new similar item in my store. For a run of the mill item I start at $5.99 and anything out of the ordinary or ina hard to get size I start at anything up to about $10 and the majority of my items sell first time round. I had a repaired second hand dress, not a designer label, sell for over $50 a couple of weeks ago!

I also keep my postage costs down by using the ebay labels so I can keep it under the magic $8 mark by quoting $7.99.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply