Final value fees and postage

sweetsherry1
Community Member

I am absolutely appalled that my final value fee was charged on the total price including postage. Postage is not money in my pocket. It was $70 paid by the buyer to get the article to themselves. How can they do that and get away with it. That must be illegal. I will NOT be selling any large cost items on ebay again. That is highway robbery. sweetsherry1

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Have a read of the post below, magically it's almost the same situation you appear to be in.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling-on-eBay/Ebay-deducted-9-68-for-a-20-item/qaq-p/2437764/comm...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Totally legal and all approved by ACCC,  this has been the case for years, so it is good to see you keep up to date.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

You have obviously read the T&C's,  this has being the policy for at least 10 years.

Myrtle must have being heavy

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Combined fees have been the norm for many years.

Ebay is hardly new in this regard - all the major platforms charge a fee on postage.

Smart sellers know how to price their items to account for all fees and charges.

If you don't want to pay fees, try Facebook marketplace, but you'll have a much smaller pool of buyer plus time wasters and random strangers coming to your house.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

@sweetsherryl,

Unfortunately, as the other responders have said, this has been the case for years now.

Don't think for a moment that anyone here is delighted by it, or thinks that it is fair - but eBay have been challenged on this before and have been able to demonstrate that it's in order. I believe that at the time eBay were offering savings to sellers, which resulted in sellers not losing money.

You could bring a new complaint to the ACCC about this practice, on the basis of the situation having changed since eBay first implemented this. I don't know whether the ACCC would revisit this.

The long-time members of these boards tend to be pragmatic about eBay's rules and policies. Rather than lamenting the fees on postage, they would have been briefly outraged at the time when it was first implemented, and then worked out how to minimise the effect of the fee change. They might occasionally mutter about the fees, but for those who sell professionally on eBay, it just doesn't do to get upset over one aspect of the costs. Successful selling in a business will look at outgoing costs overall, and will price their items to maximise their profits; if they are making a good profit, then factoring in those FVFs including on the postage component will probably not even be noticed after a while.

For the occasional seller/mostly buyer (as I gather you are now, as you've only sold a few items recently), I suppose you'd have had no reason to realise that the FVF would be upon the total including postage.

Yes, it's unfair, but it's eBay policy. You could have listed the item as pickup only but buyers welcome to organise their own freight, and in that case, the buyer would have been responsible for paying the freight company directly, rather than your paying the freight company on behalf of the buyer. That would have meant no FVF upon the postage cost. However, listing in that way may very well have meant no interest from potential buyers in other states or at a distance from you.

For any future selling, it is always worth your reading through the Help pages, or looking at the seller resources, or even posting on these boards (in the Seller board, for instance) and asking if anything has changed since you last sold. People here have a wealth of experience, and when they can give advice, they will do so.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@sweetsherryl,

Don't think for a moment that anyone here is delighted by it, or thinks that it is fair - but eBay have been challenged on this before and have been able to demonstrate that it's in order. I believe that at the time eBay were offering savings to sellers, which resulted in sellers not losing money.

I always struggle when a radio station makes a statement, that everyone loves this artist, or a politician makes a statement saying everyone is for it,  or anyone else saying everyone.

People shouldnt assume because of there own opinion, or a handful of complainers on a forum or Facebook, that everyone doesnt agree.   Because I fully support the approach Ebay takes with final value fee's.   Most of us know why they were forced to do it.  And if they didnt, they would have had to increase other fee's anyhow, they are not a charitable organisation.

So please don't lump me in to your view that no one likes it.  I for one do,  and before I get accused of it, I do not work for Ebay,  and I would save a truck load of money each year if they didnt, but they do, and I support them for it.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

You are  just adding to a loooooong line of disgruntled sellers.

However, as other posters have advised you are very late to the "party", this has been the situation for several years. 

Best to move on and adjust and re-think your charges/pricing if you are not happy and losing money. 

You must keep up to date with new eBay policies as they arise, and make whatever adjustments and decisions necessary.

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

Yes, as soon as I saw the heading ......

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

Iโ€™m aware (I think) of why some people think eBay decided to charge FVFs on postage; itโ€™s the perception that โ€œsome sellers were trying to avoid fees by inflating the postage cost and listing the item itself at a very low priceโ€. eBay make decisions based upon their bottom line, not upon fairness. Some sellers are particularly disadvantaged by this policy โ€“ for instance, those selling reasonably items whose overseas postage costs would be disproportionately affected in comparison with their local postage costs. Sellers have in the main had to think strategically about how to offset this or how to list or what sort of items to list.

I can use โ€œthe majority of sellersโ€ instead of โ€œanyoneโ€, and would usually have done so.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply