First time buyers :(

traclkes
Community Member

God I hate them  , 6 times now I have an experience where I have posted an Item and for some reson or other they have not paid or responded, . I really wish there was a way to block first time buyers or at least make it so that they have to bid with actual money or be referencedby someone who has sold or bought things reliably in the past, and if things go wrong then  the referee's reputaion will also be affected. The goleden rule on Ebay should quick pay quick post. for me at least as soon as i get money for an item I can send it  right away no hassle.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: First time buyers :(

@ajarnjenny wrote:

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I send an invoice after three days with a note on asking them to contact me asap with details of their payment as I have been unable to trace it and an automatic unpaid item dispute is opened after 4 days if payment has not been received.

I also have on most of my listings that if buyers are not paying by Paypal within 4 days to let me know so I can exempt them from the automatic UPI dispute process.

I have very few non payers, most pay up before a dispute is even opened never mind closed and of the few that do i have not seen a particular trend for them to be newbies.

I am actually expecting to see an increase when I reopen next month looking at the number of threads about problems with the mobile app and daft, incomprehensible voucher schemes. i actually feel sorry for newbies who do not realise that they are using a defective app and give up when it all gets too difficult thus accruing strikes and ending up being blocked from using some of the best sellers.

That is pretty much what I did. Asked if there was a problem and told her that the automated thing would open a non payer dispute and got a really agressive reply that she has seven days to pay and would pay when she was ready. Also a bit of rubbish about it being such a small payment and was I so desperate for $5.30 that I couldn't wait for it.

Not really the point, is it? 

They have 8 days to pay - the 4 to open a dispute, then the 4 to close a dispute. Keep all their messages; you probably have grounds for the inevitable neg to be removed.

The value of the sale is irrelevant, it's the principle and holding buyers to their commitments.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

They have 8 days to pay, and this buyer thinks that.

I really don't want  her to buy my item. She is toxic. Can i cancel? Mind you, she hasn't paid me for the item. It is a small value item, I would rather pay the listing fee and the final value fee than deal with her, and I just know that she is going to trash my stars and feedback. My printer could be not working, couldn't it?

I cant send the pattern if I cant print it?

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

Also, there can often be more than one customer doing this - although that particular customer may believe it's a small amount and shouldn't be a big deal, as a seller you are getting hit with Ebay fees on sales that haven't been paid for yet, if there are a few of these, it all adds up.  After having a few too many non- paying customers a while ago, I set up my account to open unpaid item cases automatically.  I send a courtesy reminder email before it goes to a case and often that will resolve it, but otherwise Ebay will just send it for me and the non-payer gets an unpaid item strike.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

I'm not sure, but even if you cancel, she may still be able to leave you feedback.  If you send her to an unpaid case, at least having that strike may inconvenience her buying behaviour.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

A long time ago it was 7 days before a seller could open a dspute so your rather obnoxious buyer may not know things have changed.

Personally I woukd ignire their emaiks and roceed witht he transaction as I woud any other however if you wan to reply this is what I would say:

I am sorry you feel upset however it is many years since buyers had seven days to pay before an unpaid item disute could be opened, it is now four days and ebay give sellers the ability for this to happen automatically if no payment is received within the first four days.

I am more than happy to allow buyers an extra couple of days if they contact me before bidding or immediately after the item ends as this allows me to exempt them from the automatic process.

I don't know if you buy from overseas but you should keep in mind that sellers on the US site can now open disputes after just two days.

I hope this explains things more clearly 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

I have let the automated four day thing take its course, but I really don't think that it well end well for me. I can understand someone leaving good or bad feedback on a transaction, but if there is no transacation (that is in money changing hands), why would they  be entitled to leave feedback?

But it is what it is, I suppose.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

Hi I just had 4 non payers in one day to the value of $300 odd. 3 have 0 feedback, one 5. Solved the problem by making all but my auctions and best offers, immediate payment required. So much better now. If someone wants to pay by any other method then thats okay if they ask.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply