For Sellers of Electrical and Electronic items

etb321
Community Member

Would you mind having a look at the Product Protection Insurance now being offerred to buyers of your items? Particularly 'Claims Recovery' on page 19. My interpretation example is.

A 2nd hand electronic item sells on ebay and the buyer ticks the box on the listing to purchase the product insurance, After three months the item stops working and a claim is made. The insurance company acting on behalf of the buyer seeks a refund from the ebay seller. Only if this action is successful does the buyer recieve the refund. The ownershipof the item is then transferred to the insurance company. 

I'm hopeful there are smarter heads who can read this and explaiin how it works. I spoke to ebay who told me not to worry but I am.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You are not talking to eBay. You are not talking to your seller. You are speaking to other members like yourself. We can't look at anyone's Product Protection Insurance. You need to contact the seller you bought from. If they are in China, don't bother because any warranty or insurance is worth less than a wet piece of used toilet paper.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

are you talking about this bit discussed on the UK boards?

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/product-liability-on-used-electrical-items/td-...

first time ive seen anything like it - idk if we have it here

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

@etb321 wrote:

Would you mind having a look at the Product Protection Insurance now being offerred to buyers of your items? Particularly 'Claims Recovery' on page 19. My interpretation example is.

A 2nd hand electronic item sells on ebay and the buyer ticks the box on the listing to purchase the product insurance, After three months the item stops working and a claim is made. The insurance company acting on behalf of the buyer seeks a refund from the ebay seller. Only if this action is successful does the buyer recieve the refund. The ownershipof the item is then transferred to the insurance company. 

I'm hopeful there are smarter heads who can read this and explaiin how it works. I spoke to ebay who told me not to worry but I am.

I've read bits and pieces of the PDS and while I'm not 100% certain, it kinda sounds like the supplier or manufacturer is responsible for repairs of replacements (depending), but that the insurance company pays for it?

I dunno, I will have to take a moment (or 5) to sit down and read through it very closely to try and nut it out.

If anyone else is curious, I believe the OP is talking about the option to purchase product insurance, which is currently appearing on electronic goods on eBay (just check out a major appliance from one of the big box retailers to see what it is - the PDS can be accessed here: https://secureir.ebaystatic.com/cr/v/c1/virginia-surety-product-protection_v4.html ). 

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

I sell 2nd hand electronics, amplifiers, speakers, CD players ect on ebay australia. I don't sell internationally, just within Australia.

From yesterday my new listings have a tick box option for product protection insurance. If you click on the link the insurance terms and conditions comes up.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry i havent seen it. But yes I would guess it is a response from ebay to the question of liability being raised.

Yes in Australia as a seller of any electrical stuffs - new or otherwise you have a legal obligations regarding electrical safety:

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/technical-information/electrical-appliances-and-equipment/sale-and-supply-...

As long as you comply with that you should have no issue.... until something happens and insurance companies want someone to cover their costs...

I guess liability insurance is really a must -even for sellers of clearly stated second hand things.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@etb321 wrote:

I sell 2nd hand electronics, amplifiers, speakers, CD players ect on ebay australia. I don't sell internationally, just within Australia.

From yesterday my new listings have a tick box option for product protection insurance. If you click on the link the insurance terms and conditions comes up.

I cant seem to find it on your listings, where should I be looking, or does it only come up during purchase.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

all good, found it on two items

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Sorry to cause such panic - from looking at your revised listings you have read the energysafe page - that i doubt any other sellers comply with anyway..

Would probably be nicer with a generic

"Second hand electrical items and will be tagged in accordance with energysafe Victoria requirements - regardless of item condition

-somewhere at the bottom of your listing template. Then print a few labels to stick on the leads of the items you send out if you're really keen.

"DANGER – DO NOT USE OR CONNECT TO SUPPLY – THIS SECOND-HAND ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT MAY BE FAULTY AND SHOULD BE INSPECTED AND TESTED BY A COMPETENT PERSON IN ACCORDANCE WITH AS/NZS 3760" 

Looks a bit scary on your listings themselves and may discourage buyers from picking up otherwise perfectly functional stuffs..

You could send a message along with any purchase if you really want - repeating that you are required to attach the label to the item regardless of condition, and urging the buyer to have their item tested for safety before use.

Of course (groans) the requirements differ in other states... but are loosely the same for the most part:

Qld https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/injury-prevention-safety/electricity/electrical-equipment-safety-sys...

Sellers of second hand in-scope electrical equipment are not required to have the electrical equipment tested before selling it, but they must inform the buyer if it has not been tested.(about the same as vic)

WA https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/appliance-and-equipment-approval-0

requires all to be tested before sale but with the interesting rider: However, where the origin or history of used electrical appliances or equipment IS known to the seller (for example, it has been solely owned and used since new by the seller), the appliance or equipment is not damaged, cords and plugs are in good condition, there are no missing parts and the appliance or equipment still operates in the manner the manufacturer intended, then the appliance or equipment may not need checking and testing prior to sale.

Tas https://www.cbos.tas.gov.au/topics/technical-regulation/electrical-standard-safety/equipment/online

same as vic but simpler language.

Other states seem to have sketchy info... But that being said AS/NZS 3760 is the national standard for testing so I cant see why it shouldn't apply everywhere in country.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

No, definately an offer for insurance, that the buyer can purchase in addition to the item.  length of cover and cost is variable dependant on cost and condition of the goods.  The cover is offered by Virginia Surety with ebay as the agent.  Very long read,

I didn't get all the way through last night, but it appears it does not apply if items are listed for parts or repair.  I now list the majority of electrical items for parts or repair, as I have been ripped off a few times with dodgy buyers and false claims.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply