Free Insertion - List as many items as you ant for free - no longer receiving

I would recieve regular ebay "Promotional offers" once a month (for a while) for "list as many items with no insertion fees". I havent recieved anything for a while now (maybe 5 months). I recognize that ebay gives me 40 free lsitings a month.

That is great and I utilise those but I have some 2000 individual different items ready to go and I can list with starting prices between $5 - $50.

They are not "in demand" things and in the past I would sell perhaps 50 (if i was lucky out of 2000 I upload).

It's not a big number but ebay would make $100-$200 in that month in commissions from me.

I suppose I could get an eBay store and get the 600 free listings but I'm trying to avoid doing that as my sales still would not warrant paying for a shop of the size to accomodate all m items.

As it stands I can't see myself listing more than 40 items a month despite all the stuff i could list.

I spoke to eBay and they said it's all computer generated.

It seems odd that they would not want to make $100-$200 commission from me. Now they make about $10

Does every seller (within standards) get the same offer? (or have missed out on this "free insertion offer?) Or how does the algorithm work?

Will I ever get fee insertion offers again?!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Free Insertion - List as many items as you ant for free - no longer receiving

I haven't received them since 2017, welcome to the party.
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Re: Free Insertion - List as many items as you ant for free - no longer receiving

If you have 2000 items to list you are way past the point of being a hobby seller, which is what the 40 free listings are for;   bite the bullet and pay for a store like the rest of us stumblebums.

$60 for 1500 listings is not too bad.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

(I posted this on the other thread you bumped, but it can go here as well)

try to look at it from eBay's point of view:

- you no longer list 1,915 items that, by your own words, will not sell

- instead, you only list 35 items that will not sell

- unless you are selling bespoke items the 45 items of yours that would sell but are not listed will likely be bought by buyers from other sellers

- if buyers get the items from other sellers for a comparable price then eBay still make the money they would have had you listed

- if there are just ten other Aussie sellers who are in the same situation then that is 19,600 items that are not listed. Another way of looking at this is that the eBay site is less cluttered by 19,600 items flooding the site

- if it were 1 million sellers world wide then it would be 1.96 billion less clutter . . . making it a little easier for buyers to sort through search results

- if buyers have a bad search experience because search results are cluttered with non-selling junk they might just give up without buying . . . hence the need to declutter the site. Happy buyers = returning buyers

- eBay still makes a lot of money, and not just from sold items. There are store subs, advertising, big-retail sellers selling in the millions every year

So, considering the dot points I have listed above, your 1,960 unlisted items, 1,915 of which would not sell, doesn't seem such a big deal to eBay.

My advice, only list the 40 most likely to sell items.

Consider opening a basic store if that would help. However, if your sell through rate is 50/2000 then it might not be worth opening a store.

Good luck

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Set up a second, third or forth eBay account.  I just stick to two, any more and it becomes confusing.  80 items a month.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:

Set up a second, third or forth eBay account.  I just stick to two, any more and it becomes confusing.  80 items a month.

This is a great idea, I have a similar problem of needing more free listings, and not wanting to open a store. Don't know why I didn't think of this, I already have 2 accounts, might as well utilize the free listings on my buying account Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I have both eBay accounts linked to the same PayPal account, but there are advantages having a second PayPal account as well.  In the instance they get knarky and freeze your money for some undue episode...

If you use MyPost for postage, set up a second Team member user account and link that to your second eBay account so postage from both 'stores' gets counted towards your Australia Post Band discount.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

(I posted this on the other thread you bumped, but it can go here as well)

try to look at it from eBay's point of view:

- you no longer list 1,915 items that, by your own words, will not sell

- instead, you only list 35 items that will not sell

- unless you are selling bespoke items the 45 items of yours that would sell but are not listed will likely be bought by buyers from other sellers

- if buyers get the items from other sellers for a comparable price then eBay still make the money they would have had you listed

- if there are just ten other Aussie sellers who are in the same situation then that is 19,600 items that are not listed. Another way of looking at this is that the eBay site is less cluttered by 19,600 items flooding the site

- if it were 1 million sellers world wide then it would be 1.96 billion less clutter . . . making it a little easier for buyers to sort through search results

- if buyers have a bad search experience because search results are cluttered with non-selling junk they might just give up without buying . . . hence the need to declutter the site. Happy buyers = returning buyers

- eBay still makes a lot of money, and not just from sold items. There are store subs, advertising, big-retail sellers selling in the millions every year

So, considering the dot points I have listed above, your 1,960 unlisted items, 1,915 of which would not sell, doesn't seem such a big deal to eBay.

My advice, only list the 40 most likely to sell items.

Consider opening a basic store if that would help. However, if your sell through rate is 50/2000 then it might not be worth opening a store.

Good luck

@ frankiepaddo,

To add a bit more mathemicatical analysis to the excellent work already done:

If you list 2000 items but only earn ebay $100 to $200 a month in fees from them, they're making only 5c to 10c for every listing you have on the site.  I seriously doubt they're going to consider that to be a good return.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply