GST and the ATO

There is a $75,000 limit for when a seller needs to register for GST with the ATO. Is this $75,000 figure based on the total of the sale price (item + postage + packaging + handling). or can the total sales price by adjusted to only include the item price?

Message 1 of 36
Latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: GST and the ATO

As most informed people have already stated it is $75,000 of gross sales including postage and handling charges etc.

Note though that sales to international buyers and international postage charges received are excluded ie don't get included in the $75,000 figure and GST is not payable on these sales.

Message 31 of 36
Latest reply

If this is the case, why do I, as a consumer, have to pay GST on my eBay purchases?
Message 32 of 36
Latest reply

The GST is always paid by the consumer.

It is paid to the seller (or in the case of ebay buyers, to ebay) who remit it to the ATO.

This thread has nothing to do with the extension of the GST to include low value overseas transactions.

Message 33 of 36
Latest reply

@ambedoola_0 wrote:
If this is the case, why do I, as a consumer, have to pay GST on my eBay purchases?

Because this thread is about SELLERS' GST obligations, and was started (and almost ended) before GST on low-value imports was even a twinkle in the Treasurer's eye.

If you want to know why, read the dozen or so separate CURRENT threads on the 'buying' board that all address your question.

Message 34 of 36
Latest reply

Yet another:

zombie.jpg

with no real bearing on the resurrector's issue.

Is it really so hard to start a new thread?

Message 35 of 36
Latest reply

It would seem so.

Message 36 of 36
Latest reply