Getting blamed for Australia Post losing mail

I am getting really fed up with customers blaming me for items lost in the post. I sell mainly small items so tracking is not an option.  I've had a couple of negative feedbacks because of this, even though I have refunded or replaced the items. Mostly I get messages, sometimes very nasty. Does anyone else go through this?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Same thing happened to me, he filed a dispute then a claim. I forward PayPal all the info almost 3 weeks ago without any resolution. Phoned them yesterday and within 10 minutes they found in my favour. Her comment was that the dispute is now between the buyer and Australia Post as I have carried out my side of the sale.

How do you post because I thought tracking is automatic with regular parcels.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

A lot of my items are small so I post in regular envelopes or padded envelopes. The only items I send with tracking are those that I post in a box or satchel. I did have the situation once where even that failed and the buyer insisted she didn't receive the satchel. I contacted Australia Post and they told me the parcel had been delivered. I had no choice but to issue a refund 😞

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

I know how you feel. I send a few items by small/large letters and I've had a few get lost by Australia Post. Though my customers are generally quite kind when messaging me.. Do you drop the letters in the red street boxes or hand them in at the counter?
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

I no longer trust Australia Post as I lost $1.000 worth of items sent registered post and paypal found against me on all four items.despite various forms of registration.

I now insist on a "DO NOT SAFE DROP " sticker on EVERY ITEM I POST .

With smaller items I am still trying to negotiate a way to get tracking on large letters etc as they used to print a label when asked.

Recently on a current affair there was vision of posties and couriers leaving parcels in unit letterbox areas and the items being  relocated {stolen !!!!! ) within a minute.

For items with tracking if the posty leaves it they do not scan normally so you are at risk of losing items.

If it has do not safe drop on it then the posty will scan the item when delivered or picked up from the post centre.

Since using the stickers my"non delivery" "item not received" figures have changed substantially.

And to be honest if somebody will not pay for registered post on a small item I prefer not to sell to them. 

It costs me less money as most items an not be replaced so it is better to deal only with honest people.

Also any lost item customers automatically go on my banned bidder list, and there is a group of us who exchange information as well.

Today I communicated with a buyer who has been fantastic, but my settings stopped her buying from me, so I did a manual overide and told her . She was very understanding and also understood fully because she had the same problem.

If Ebay will not let us tell the truth or be treated fairly we need to form our own networks.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

So if I said an item has not arrived and it never turns up you would block me?

Is that because you know I am a thief or because you don't know and won't take any risks?

As a buyer it is great when a bad seller blocks me so that I don't accidently buy from them if they will not address the problem of lost parcels but instead blames the buyer.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

I drop into the posting box for most mail, except for large parcels which I hand over at the AP counter. When I do get a nasty or sarcastic message I am always very polite in my response but there are some people who just don't get it, quite sad really 😞

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

When I send an item it has full address clearly marked, a full return address and is safely packed.

It also has a do not safe drop sticker, and if applicable tracking number and or registration.

If the item does not arrive I have completely filled my part of the deal.

If it is scanned as delivered and you still make a claim then I have every right to block you.

I have had customers who made multiple claims despite me having signatures for a registered item so Yes if you claim not to receive it my business can not afford to risk you.

If your feedback shows you have multiple comments about non delivery then yes I have every right to block you as my business can not afford the risk.

If you have a low score and suddenly items disappear then I have every right to block you.

If you will not pay for a safe form of postage then I have every right to block you.

If your name appears on my friends list of suss customers I have every right to block you.

If you are so worried about being blocked what is causing that? Because Ebay only protects buyers I must protect myself. Over the years I have sold a lot on Ebay and today it is very difficult to stay in the black with a significant increase in "suspicous" claims.

If I do block you, then you can always send a message and discuss it with me. Or do you prefer confrontation and hiding behind others.

If you do not wish to be open and honest I have every right to block you. Having been burnt quite a few times I have every right to protect myself and deal with people who are honest and open and want to buy my products.

And in answer to your first line.

Is there any rule that says I must offer the chance for people to rip me off more than once?

I have a saying "Do not perpetuate the problem"

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

So you would block me as  a precaution, there is nothing wrong with that, I was just curious.

However having had registered parcels left on my doorstep and other parcels signed for by neighbours and then they have taken the parcel into their unit until they see me get home I can see how parcels marked as delivered can very easily go missing.

Luckily my neighbours are honest but some parcels actually have instructions to ask for ID that has been prearranged with the seller and yet they are still letting neighbours sign for these parcels.

Most of my problems are not with the buyer or seller of items but with AP.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Thank you for the clarification.

I and several others I know have been having trouble with selling items.

Prior to Paypal we almost never lost an item.

Nowadays we are suffering 10% non paying buyers. (I an understand an ocasional mistake but 10 perent?????

With losses in postage it never used to happen. Then introduce paypal and all a dishonest buyer needs to do is make a claim, provide no proof and you stand a good chance of getting the item and a full refund of your money. Maybe I should start doing it as it is more profitable and easier than selling.

The reent show on A Current Affair showed items being scooped from couriers and Aussie Post even before the deliverer left the scene.

It opened my eyes even wider than what they were already.

As I have said elsewhere I have had $1,000 of goods "disappear in the system" despite tracking numbers. registration or lack of scanning through the system.

I still know of three registered items that are lost in the system since May and All aussie post offered was 36 dollars reimbursement for postage. It has closed one trader down who was turning over Three K a month.

And one of those items went to an employee of Australia Post and was not scanned at the postal centre where he works, not signed for as a registered item and is the third known "lost item" at that address.

A search of the images of his home shows his unit door is clearly visible from a very busy road and has no obvious place for a safe drop.

So yes he is blocked now, by me and six friends.

And regarding items left on doorsteps etc. most contractors do not scan them so they can "disappear into the ether. "

Or should we discuss the person who made five claims for one item not delivered despite the fact we had a copy of the run sheet with his distinctive signature from Aus Post contractor as this was the fourth time he had tried the same deal on ???????

Yes I use my rights to block bidders nowadays.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply