Giving up on ebay selling

This may sound like sour grapes, however I don't mean for it to be....

I have decided not to sell on ebay anymore.  I am sick of being at the whim of buyers in regards to feedback.  I try to go out of my way to describe the items accurately, I don't overcharge for postage, I post the day the item is paid for, I wrap the item as if it has been sold from an expensive boutique (at my cost).  The buyer doesn't read the listing and then complains about their purchase.  I offer a refund (although it's not my fault) and they give you negative feedback.

I am not a big time seller - just a few things here and there.  I predominantly purchase things on ebay.  I only have given negative  feedback in one instance when the seller outright abused me.  I don't buy from people who have been given negative feedback & I hesitate about purchasing from people with neutral feedback.  Stupidly, because I assume other people leave feedback like I do.

There should be a better review system for when buyers leave unfair feedback.  Me just responding to their stupid feedback is worthless because how much weight do people give my response - of course I'm going to say the buyer was the one in the wrong.  If ebay responded, that would be given greater weight by potential buyers.

Anyway - I just neede to vent I guess.

Good bye ebay.  My selling days are over. 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Giving up on ebay selling

@ilovemychooks wrote:

@toysandthings12 wrote:
negative feedback on buyers was a good things. Shame they removed it.

Negative feedback didn't stop bad buyers from buying. Sure, auctions could see their bid cancelled if the seller noticed in time, but they could hit as many BIN's as they liked and there wasn't a thing anyone could do about it. Block lists and non payer strikes DO stop bad buyers buying. All sellers should have blocks in place to stop serial non payers from buying, but sadly, so many don't. However, serial non payers and serial red dotters do find after awhile that they are very limited in who they can buy from.

Do you have blocks in place?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Oh yes they did. Especially if the seller only sold by auction.Almost everybody sold by auction way back when

Negative feedback also highlighted serial non paying bidders.It was all over theor feedback

It also highlighted those unscrupulous competitors that dummy bid on others sellers products......... Any ideas how you

can work out that information now.

Way back when a lot of people bought and sold on the same account (shock horror).

Those that were serial feedback retaliators ie ebay narcissists whether buyer or seller stood out like the dog's

proverbials.....

How much harder is it to pick those characters now?

I notice this from the ebay syncophants a lot

"All sellers should have blocks in place to stop serial non payers from buying, but sadly, so many don't."

Hmmmm

I wonder how ebay could publicize their great system of NPB blocks so that more users would be likely to use the system  ?????

Hey I have got a great idea what if when ebay finalized a buyer NPB strike what if they recorded in the feedback forum

$$$$$ non paying bidder

Do you think just quietly, maybe possibly, somewhat likely maybe that those sellers that follow the leader

presently and leave negative postive feedback would....wait for it follow the leader after they read

$$$$$ non paying bidder on the errant buyers feedback and find the process that would leave the same message.....

Does anybody think that advertisement in the feedabck forum would increase participation and

reduce sellers leaving negative positive feedback ie....

visible generic npb feedback is a tool to train sellers not

stop errant buyers

Generic NPB feedback would increase seller participation

thereby increasing the number of strikes and it is that action

that will deter bad buyers from buying

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 31 of 33
Latest reply

moktah
Community Member

I know how you feel since I recently received my first negative feedback even after issuing a full refund, then that buyer went on to repurchase the same item! I had accidentally quoted the wrong postage price in the listing and wasn't willing to take the $5 loss that it would have cost me to send the item at the correct postage cost. It was a Pay Now item and so there was no way to send the buyer an invoice for the extra amount. I cancelled the sale, relisted the item with the correct postage cost and the same buyer then re-bought that item. I can understand why they would have been disappointed but was it really such a negative experience for the buyer when they received their money back in full? I don't think buyers should be able to leave feedback when they have received a full refund but who am I to say? I'm just someone who pays over $200/month in Ebay fees, I don't have the right to make suggestions to the powers that be.

Anyways, don't let it get to you, neutral feedback isn't as bad as negative feedback, at least you still have your 100% feedback score, people will still buy from you especially if they can see you issued a refund. For me however, I didn't make any sales for 4 days after received my negative feedback, which left me fuming, especially when I had been making multiple sales everyday before then. Luckily things seems to be picking up again.

Don't give up, just keep trying your best and when selling shoes, try to include measurements like I do.

Message 32 of 33
Latest reply

well i do agree with you  that ebay does put a disadvatage on seller in regards to leaving feedback

i don't agree that you should give up on selling. i think many of us have met and dealt with that "one" buyer that gets right under your nerves

you'll find that in any business or industry

but it should'nt bring you down that you have only one neutral score or if you havent received any recent feedback. unfortunately leaving feedback is optional , but by the sounds of it you do put a lot of effort and commitment into your aucitons.y ou package the items well and you send them fast your doing your job as a seller by over delievering and providing great customer service, however i can understand if you think most dont realise that

ebay should be a place where you can come and have fun buying , selling and trading whatever you have or want. 

i dont think you should give at all. maybe take a week or so and then come back with new ideas and things to sellSmiley Happy

Message 33 of 33
Latest reply