Good till cancelled listings I'm Confused, please help.

I have not sold in a while, so I need your advice.  I would have assumed that if I only had 40 listings at a time, then I would be safe from insertion fees, as when they rolled over, they would just come off my 40 free listings for the following month. Now I read the following...

A.JPG

So the way I read this, is that if I DON'T use the advanced listing form, I have to cancel my listings each month and manually relist to access my 40 free listings instead of letting it roll over?

As I don't even know what the advanced listing form is, or where to find it, I only use the form that comes up when I click the "sell" button.  I am not a business seller, so seems I can't have an auction roll over either, without incurring fees, regardless of whether I have 40 free listings or not.

Can someone please tell me if I am reading this right. 

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

No, you're not reading it right. Change the first line to "the following will use your monthly free listings" and you'll understand it better.
Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

If you're a small seller the automatic relists on auctions (including auctions with Buy It Now attached) should be free like before and won't waste your 40 when they automatically relist. At least that's how it works on my non-store account which still uses the old style listing page (which I assume is the 'advanced' one, since it actually has options and doesn't look like an enlarged phone app on my PC, unlike the rest of eBay).

GTC doesn't offer *free* automatic relists (unlike the old fixed price BIN format which disappeared in February) so they will always eat up one of the 40 or any other freebies you might have, or charge you $1.65 if you're out of them.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. I know there are no longer free rollovers, but as a small seller, I get 40 free listings each month.  However if I list 40 items and they roll over to the following month will they use my 40 free listings for that month?  The way I am reading the information provided that "Free listing" only applies if it is the first listing made for that item, or a manual reslist, not a roll over, regardless of whether I have not used my 40 free listings for the month they roll over to. So I would have to cancel each listing and then manually relist the items again to access my 40 free listings for that month and then only if I use a certain form to do so.  I am totally confused, then eBay contradicts themselves in another section by claiming need to use a different form.  I don't see the point of asking eBay, or any hope of getting the right answer from them going by past experience, each eBay employee tells you something different and quite often information is wrong.

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

It is a bit ambiguous.

You use one of your 40 free listings when you first list the item, and another one each month when they roll over.

So if you have more than 40 listings roll over in a month you'll be charged an insertion fee on each one over the 40.

Also, if you list a few, then have 40 roll over, you'll be charged insertion fees on the extra.

To summarise, any more than 40 listings (roll overs and new listings combined), with incur an insertion fee.

That's how it works for us on our non-store id's.
Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Just to add, if you already have 40 listings rolling over, you have used all your listings for the entire month. If you sell out of something, and want to list something new, you have to wait until next month.

Something else to consider is selling things with enough profit to cover the cost of non-free listings. You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to 40.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

To clarify what you've said, if they sell before they roll over that month you can list something new to replace them. That means it's better to list towards the end of the month than the start.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

Wait a sec, now I'm confused.

My friend has just started selling CDs, books and DVDs and isn't wanting to pay to have a store until she at least sells a few things.

So...how many listings can she have to ensure she won't be charged any fees when those listings automatically roll over?

Like...she had 6 listings during September, no sales. In October so far she has 20 listings, 2 sales. So does that mean when November rolls around, there will be 24 listings automatically relisted, so she can safely list 16 more?

But then if nothing sells in November, would she then have 40 listings renewing themselves? And thus charging her 40 listing fees??

I AM SO CONFUSED!
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

@kitty-kat-kollection wrote:
Wait a sec, now I'm confused.

My friend has just started selling CDs, books and DVDs and isn't wanting to pay to have a store until she at least sells a few things.

So...how many listings can she have to ensure she won't be charged any fees when those listings automatically roll over?

Like...she had 6 listings during September, no sales. In October so far she has 20 listings, 2 sales. So does that mean when November rolls around, there will be 24 listings automatically relisted, so she can safely list 16 more?

But then if nothing sells in November, would she then have 40 listings renewing themselves? And thus charging her 40 listing fees??

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Yes, she can

Yes, she would. No, because she gets 40 for free. But she can't list any more.

It's not hard. 40 is 40, either currently listed or sold in a given month. eBay even tell you how many listings you have left. Not to mention the extra freebies that come up every month.

Maybe your 'friend' should ask on the boards for herself. That way she's not relying on you to relay information about a system you've been using for years but still don't understand.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

Well, yes, I have been on ebay since 2002 but almost exclusively as a buyer. I only started selling last July and I had a store from the start, so never had to know anything about how the 40 free listings for non-store sellers worked.

Thank you though.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply