Green customs forms tracking

I heard that the green CN22 customs forms we use have some type of tracking on them.

Someone on another forum mentioned that they are able to input the number into Aus Post and it will show the package even arriving at its destination.

She wrote:

" You can use the number on the green Customs form (the one that starts UC and ends AU) to track the package through the local postal service, once it reaches the destination country. I have tried this with US and UK so far and it works. You may not see multiple scans, but you can see when it is delivered".

I guess you have to make sure your PO scans it in the first place and make a note of the number as you don't get any part of the form back when you lodge.

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

The UC number is not officially tracked and I certainly wouldn't rely on it as seller protection evidence for anything of value. I frind the USA and Europeaqn countries will sometimes scan (currently 60% of my USA large letters have had the UC number scanned) and I have won an item not received case from France as the UC number was scanned to delivery.  Your post office is required to scan on lodgement but this does not show on AP tracking. However I have defended late lodement defects in the past by getting a printout from AP's internal database (you need nice post office staff to get a printout).

I have a pile of green customs slips at home and fill them out before heading to the post office.  This way I have all the UC numbers recorded if I need to check for any tracking events. 

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Sort of off-topic but when I used to post overseas, I used the number on the green customs form to call buyers' bluff if they said their item didn't arrive.

I'd respond to messages about non-arrival with something along the lines of, "Don't worry! The green customs form has a tracking number on it, so I'll contact Australia Post to see where it is and get back to you."

80% of the time the item would miraculously turn up. Often within hours.

So even if you can't use it as tracking "evidence", it might still be useful. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

@cushioncovers wrote:

I heard that the green CN22 customs forms we use have some type of tracking on them.

They actually do, but it will rarely return results online, and never within Australia. AP staff will scan the barcodes on lodgement, and that logs the package in their system. The barcodes generally continue to be scanned as they progress through the mail system both in Aus and in the destination country, at least up until it clears customs, but most of the time the records are internal. (For example, a couple of years ago I contacted AP via Facebook about a missing letter to the US. The UC number didn't do anything is entered into AP's or USPS's tracking tool, but the rep from AP could see in their system the date, time and location it was lodged). 

I use that information when I respond to enquiries about non-delivery, and basically tell the customer it's not trackable online, but it is traceable. I also say that I can ask for a trace once the minimum timeframe allowed for delivery has passed, and then say that because it's a manual process, it can take several days before I know anything more. If the 30 days hasn't arrived yet, I ask them to let me know if it hasn't arrived by whatever date when that will be. If it has, I advise I'll lodge the investigation and ask for a week to allow it to take place. This is actually much shorter than the actual AP investigation times, but I'm banking on one of two things - the extra time allows for the item to be delivered, or if they have the package, they then believe I'll find out. About 80% of the time, I never hear back. A couple of times I've ultimately had to refund, and some people think me suggesting that waiting a bit more than 2 weeks for delivery is an unacceptable solution to the 'problem', but by and large this approach works for me, and by mentioning the number is recorded internally, it prevents them trying the number (if they're lying and actually do have the package), then seeing there's no results. 

I mentioned this before, but while the number isn't often tracked in the other country, you can still get a form of proof of postage (not as good as proof of delivery, but proof of post is enough for disputes outside of eBay's MBG). I haven't yet had to test whether it's aceeptable as proof of post, but I now get printed lodgement receipts for my OS letters, using the self-service lodgement terminals. It shows each individual UC number as lodged, and before I take them up there, I photograph the addressed package with the customs form filled out, making sure the number / barcode is readable. If I ever have need to see whether this qualifies as proof of postage for PayPal or *tsy, I'll post the end results here. 

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks all.

I've got an order going to the UK tomorrow so I will hang on to the number and see what (if anything) comes up just to satisfy my curiosity.

Digi - thanks for the comprehensive answer - very helpful!

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

My post office wont let me use the CN 22 green forms 😞

They have removed them from the counter.

They insist I have to use the new multiple copy thingy that doesn't even fit on the envelope.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

(For example, a couple of years ago I contacted AP via Facebook about a missing letter to the US. The UC number didn't do anything is entered into AP's or USPS's tracking tool, but the rep from AP could see in their system the date, time and location it was lodged)

Just a question about the CN22 form (green form) - so you attach stamps/pay for postage and lodge over the counter at AP as letter rate? Do they also accept the more detaile CN23 forms for letter too or are these just for standard and not economy? I may try this when there is a vaccine and I again have trust in international postage (i use to put mine in the postbox without declaration and had quite a few missing parcels or late parcels). 

Your advise about the form being traceable is good advise to stall for time in a case. Also (i don't have any CN22 forms on me now) but the ones i'm looking at on google have the barcode number starting with LC (not UC) and finishing in AU. 

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@cushioncovers wrote:

I mentioned this before, but while the number isn't often tracked in the other country, you can still get a form of proof of postage (not as good as proof of delivery, but proof of post is enough for disputes outside of eBay's MBG). I haven't yet had to test whether it's aceeptable as proof of post, but I now get printed lodgement receipts for my OS letters, using the self-service lodgement terminals. It shows each individual UC number as lodged, and before I take them up there, I photograph the addressed package with the customs form filled out, making sure the number / barcode is readable. If I ever have need to see whether this qualifies as proof of postage for PayPal or *tsy, I'll post the end results here. 

What are self-lodgement terminals? What is proof of post? What can Aus. post give you to prove post (is a receipt enough)?

Also, what success have you had using this method when faced with cases? 

What percnt of your of your letters are being delivered since covid-19? 

Thanks in advance for your response. 

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

Many things change in 3 YEARS.  Just saying

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

@andrew0123 wrote:

What are self-lodgement terminals? What is proof of post? What can Aus. post give you to prove post (is a receipt enough)?

Also, what success have you had using this method when faced with cases? 

What percnt of your of your letters are being delivered since covid-19? 

Thanks in advance for your response. 

I switched from Aus Post to DHL when sending internationally, so some of my answers may no longer apply. 

Proof of post just establishes that you sent something to a buyer, so you need evidence that a package was sent, and what address it was sent to. eBay currently want more than that with their policies, though (they require proof of delivery usually, which you can't get with untracked packages, and their current policies require online tracking scans - at least one that shows lodgement). 

My post office has self-service terminals, like they might have at a local supermarket, where you scan everything yourself, and for a while the lodgment receipts printed through those for international (untracked) letters would print out the customs number of the declaration. I always used the green CN22 forms because they're smaller (and lighter), rather than the bigger CN23 forms (the ones that are A5 size and are done in triplicate). I don't know if you can still use the green ones, there was talk years ago of having them phased out but I was able to use them long after those whispers started. CN22 all started with UC when I used them. 

Anyway, all the self-service terminals are closed at my PO, since covid, but they print the custom number on lodgements receipts if it's done at the counter now too (or they will, when letters with merchandise are allowed to be sent again - officially they are currently not allowed, only parcels. It should work with untracked parcels as well, once that is available again). 

This can help establish proof of post, in conjunction with evidence that a unique customs number belongs to a specific package anyway, but it wouldn't be any good for eBay, even with their current policies, because there won't be a tracking scan. It may help in a PayPal case, but I couldn't guarantee it and never had to test my theory. 

Australia Post now allow you to create customs declarations / shipping labels online (CN23 version), for any type of article I believe (even letters) and this would be a better way to do it if the letter can accomodate an A5 size label and don't mind the paper / printing cost, because then you can download a copy of the label, which should contain both the shipping address and the customs number so you'd have a single document that the unique customs number was assigned to a specific address, and then would have a lodgement receipt when done over the counter, so even with no tracking, it should suffice for PayPal (for as long as that remains relevent to eBay sellers), but still wouldn't for eBay.

https://auspost.com.au/prepare-customs-declaration

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply