HELP, Buyer opened Not as Described (postage overcharge) w/paypal

Hoping for advice, 

I was selling 2 items seperate,$25.00 + $18 postage 5kg satchel) each = $86 total for both

Buyer emails offers $20each + postage

I reply both plates, baged + Registered post  Total   $72-

She bids, pays; I post On invoice I refund $13.98

On Mon 12th 1st email ;; received bag hope plates not broken postage $15.05  refund asap, I reply Postage is $15 ++ Expand bag ++ Registered

2nd email ; u dont understand the plates arrived safe but u overcharged on postage by $10  I say Bag & rego on top of postage

3rd mail; I will make this clear, postage is incluusive refund me or case opened w/ Paypal for excessive

This morning paypal has taken the whole $72. 00 with

Oh Dear What Do I Do    Sorry for been so long            Thanks Jenny 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: HELP, Buyer opened Not as Described (postage overcharge) w/paypal

Hi all

Thank you all for your help

beautbots01, you are correct, and 2 would not even fit into a 5kg satchel, they were large with their boxes

Any way just to hopefully end this, with a smile

As Paypal closed the dispute and has been decided in MY favour

Thanks again                    

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I will be interested to hear what others say about this, but as far as I know, they can't open a not as described for excess postage. I'd be ringing PayPal and sending them the emails saying the plates arrived safely, but she feels postage was excessive. I don't understand what she means that postage was inclusive when there was obviously a postage charge?

Did the listing say a 5kg bag that was being sent registered, or did you just decide to register it after the fact?

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

PayPal do not entertain disputes over postage. The buyer pretty much has somewhere between buckley's and no chance of enforcing a partial refund (all things going according to policy, that is).

In the past, PayPal have automatically closed such cases in favour of the seller as soon as the dispute is escalated, however I would personally ring them and clarify my position, because it's not exactly unheard of for an incorrect decision to be made. 

BTW when a transaction is disputed, although it looks like PayPal debit the payment, it's actually on hold - you can't spend or withdraw it, but they don't officially take it unless the buyer's claim is successful and they get a refund. 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

hi aussie  the only thing i can see is did both items go in the same bag  as   1st email stated bag  not bags, if thats the case thats what the buyer might be complaining about  hoppe to here from you soon.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Hi All & THANK YOU for your replies

In the original listings of each one postage was a 5kg satchal $18 each

When I replied her with the new combined cost I then said posted,  Baged,  & registered total cost  $72- Did not seperate postage from items just total

I just heard from Ebay ""come up with an agreement to prevent the claim to be opened"".

I just can not beleive this         Jenny

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

you were very correct , but the buyer , but maybe they thought it would come in 2 bags not one if this is the case..  in there mind they might of thought the items were going to be $20 each. 

in my mind its $72 all up , and thats what i have to pay.   they dont see that figure afterv delivery. but at least your items got there safely.  as ebay wants the 2 parties to work it out , good luck with the buyer

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Hi Jenny.  I think we here all agree that Ebay is not the sharpest thing in the toolbox.  However, I believe your dispute is with Paypal, who are holding your funds until this matter has been resolved.  So as advised earlier you need to speak (on the phone) to Paypal.  They will probably ask you for evidence to support your defence against this claim which will be the email where your buyer AGREED to pay $72.  Other members have yet to contribute but have a lot more knowledge of how these disputes can be handled  

Paypal and Ebay are now seperate companies so talking to eBay about a dispute which has already been opened in Paypal won't help you.  Sometimes these things can make you want to give in disgust so you need to grit your teeth and take on the challenge. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@*aussie* wrote:

I just heard from Ebay ""come up with an agreement to prevent the claim to be opened"".

Where has the dispute been opened? i.e. Who did you get an email from notifying you of the case, PayPal  or eBay? 

If it's exclusively a PayPal dispute, call them, if you can, try to get them to escalate and close the case straight away, which should be easy enough if the buyer's notes on the dispute clearly indicate it's over postage costs.

If it's an eBay request, call them. eBay don't provide a dispute process for postage costs either, and they will have the added benefit of being able to view all messages between yourself and the buyer. 

You do not have to be bullied by the buyer, eBay or PayPal. And do call (or, use the 'call me' option if with eBay) - emailing or live chat tends not to get you very far, and although sometimes you have to ask to speak to a supervisor until you get someone who understands the situation properly, eventually you should be able to get the right result. 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Hi All

Early this morning I was not able to get into my paypal account ???

So I contacted Ebay

Then at 10am  I get the email from PayPal

XXXXX has opened a dispute for the payment made on 8 Oct 2015
indicating that the item they received did not match the original
description.   xxxxxx has requested a $8.00 AUD refund.

Over an Hour later I get that reply from ebay

You know If I beleived I had over charged I would refunded no problem. 

Jenny 

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

hi  i think this new post might of help the posters here , as we all thought it had nothing to do with not as discribed.  oh well good luck

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply