HELP, Buyer opened Not as Described (postage overcharge) w/paypal

Hoping for advice, 

I was selling 2 items seperate,$25.00 + $18 postage 5kg satchel) each = $86 total for both

Buyer emails offers $20each + postage

I reply both plates, baged + Registered post  Total   $72-

She bids, pays; I post On invoice I refund $13.98

On Mon 12th 1st email ;; received bag hope plates not broken postage $15.05  refund asap, I reply Postage is $15 ++ Expand bag ++ Registered

2nd email ; u dont understand the plates arrived safe but u overcharged on postage by $10  I say Bag & rego on top of postage

3rd mail; I will make this clear, postage is incluusive refund me or case opened w/ Paypal for excessive

This morning paypal has taken the whole $72. 00 with

Oh Dear What Do I Do    Sorry for been so long            Thanks Jenny 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: HELP, Buyer opened Not as Described (postage overcharge) w/paypal

Hi All

So am I in the wrong?

So if i refund, she gets 2x plates @ $50 + postage $14  total  $64 

Actual cost of postage  $15 + Expand bag $2  + Reg $3 

That just does not sound fair

Thanks Jenny

/

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

if you were charging items $50  and postage $18 =should that of been $68    .  maybe thats what the buyer was expecting in 1 parcel but you charged them $72   which is fine in my books but not hers , now if its going to cost you $8 and all will be fine well thats up to you. if you dont , do you think they will send it back for a full refund ,seeing that now its a not as discribed problem.  up to you.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@*aussie* wrote:

Hi All

So am I in the wrong?

@So if i refund, she gets 2x plates @ $50 + postage $14  total  $64 

Actual cost of postage  $15 + Expand bag $2  + Reg $3 

That just does not sound fair

Thanks Jenny

/

I personally have no interest in judging what is right or wrong - you're the seller, it's up to you to decide what is an appropriate charge for postage. The buyer has the opportunity to decide beforehand, and afterwards, whether they like how much they're being charged, but the simple fact is in the majority of cases they don't have the right to demand a refund if they decide they paid to much for the service that was provided (I do consider there to be exceptions, but unless there's more info that would change the circumstances, I do not consider this to be one of them) - and that, the last point, is what I am basing my advice to you on.

But since you did ask, didn't the buyer offer $20 for each plate? If that was accepted, that's $40 item total, cost of postage (to you) appears to be around $20, so just from an objective view point, the buyer is probably looking at it as though they paid $72 for $60 worth of items / service. If the plates were really well packed, TBH I don't feel $12 is excessive, all things considered, though if I was going to hazard a guess as to your buyer's point of view, I'd say they were first annoyed they arrived in a postal bag (as opposed to a box, which is recommended for fragile items), and that annoyance was exacerbated by a perceived difference in postage cost and charge, even though it seems the plates arrived fine. I don't think any of that condones their behaviour, but if it helps you look at things from their (potential) perspective and reach an amicable conclusion, all the better. 

As I said, if it is a PayPal dispute (as it sounds, because an eBay email notifying of a request isn't worded like that), call them. Or take your (relatively good) chances and escalate it to a claim yourself, since (again, as I said) PayPal should immediately close the dispute in your favour since it's asking for a partial refund over postage costs. Meaning, the dispute is closed, buyer doesn't get any refund at all, and the hold on the full payment is released. 

If it is an eBay request, meaning the dispute is being handled via eBay's resolution centre and not PayPal's, then unless you want to negotiate a mutually agreeable resolution with the buyer, you really do need to call them to sort it out because if you rely on eBay's automated system, you risk the buyer getting a full refund and keeping the items. 

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

My opinion is that you are a 'sometimes seller' and Paypal has put your

money on a 21 day hold.   They have not taken it.

Buyer cannot open dispute for excessive postage with either paypal or ebay.

Buyer is trying it on.    They agreed to cost and paid. 

No refund IMO

Mind you, a 5kg satchel for a plate??    What are they made of?    White Dwarf?

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

If you look at the plates sold I'm guessing they were the 21cm and sent in original boxes.  I don't think two of these would have fit in the 3kg bag regardiless  of weight.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

Hi all

Thank you all for your help

beautbots01, you are correct, and 2 would not even fit into a 5kg satchel, they were large with their boxes

Any way just to hopefully end this, with a smile

As Paypal closed the dispute and has been decided in MY favour

Thanks again                    

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

That's great news!bravo.gif

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply