HOW DO I REFUND A PURCHASE

Hi, I recently re opened my Ebay store after many years. I made a sale on a dress and the purchaser has sent an email with photos of undescribed discolouration. The discolouration shows up in my listing photos but she is unhappy that it wasn't written in my description. Am I better off to refund the purchase to avoid negative feedback? If so, how do I do that.

Thanks

Michelle 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Go to  your  ORDERS.

Click  on relevant order number

Select REFUND

Select reason for REFUND

Enter  amount to be refunded

Submit

I think that about covers it.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Refunding won't avoid negative feedback, but since you didn't list the fault, you should refund.

Pictures do not tell the whole story. I had a look at the listing and I agree with the buyer that it would have been hard to distinguish discolouration from the pictures you put up.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Who cares about a negative feedback? It's not the end of the world. I can't work out why sellers will bow to buyers for fear of a red dot. 

Clothing buyers have a bad habit of buying something to wear to an event, then after said event, no longer have a use for the garment, so claim it's not described to get a refund. If the buyer wants a refund, then they can return the item first. Don't fall for their carp. No return, no refund.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I agree you should have mentioned the fading in the blurb.

I also agree with S&D .  
Iโ€™d wait for a INAD case to be opened, then Iโ€™d refund after the item has been returned, but follow the rules and guidelines.

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I've had this problem too even when I described the defect in the blurb. Often buyers don't read and don't look that carefully at the pictures. If I sell an item with a defect I always message the buyer before posting to make sure they are aware. People have responded really well to this because they can see you are a seller who cares.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

If I were you, I would message the person to say you were sorry they were disappointed but you would refund in full on return of the item and you were including a postal label for them to use for the return.

That won't necessarily stop a buyer giving you a neg or a neutral, it depends on how reasonable the buyer is. I am trying to project myself into the buyer's shoes here. If you refunded politely and quickly, I probably would not give a neg but I might feel like giving a neutral because the discolouration wasn't mentioned in the ad.

You can't rely on photos to tell the whole story as we consumers are always being told colours can vary from monitor to monitor and for all a buyer knows, a slight change in shade might be because of sunlight through a window or the angle a photo is taken on etc

Any fault, always mention. Sure, buyers may not read it but if they complain you then have a perfect comeback by saying it was prominently mentioned in the ad as well as shown in the photos. It could give you a basis then to fight any 'not as described' claim in the future.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply